My cat has been having diarrhea since early Friday morning after Thanksgiving. I Was eating leftovers late at night and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat has been having diarrhea since early Friday morning after Thanksgiving. I Was eating leftovers late at night and I saw her steal some thing out of my dish. There were leftover shrimp shells breadsticks that had prosciutto on them and some kind of corn corn bread. Since then she’s been a mess she’s literally walking and not even knowing that she’s going to the bathroom it is so wet it has informed at all. What should I do thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: was eating leftovers late at night and I saw her steal some thing out of my dish. There were leftover shrimp shells breadsticks that had prosciutto on them and some kind of corn cornbread. Since then she’s been a mess she’s literally walking and not even knowing that she’s going to the bathroom it is so wet it hasn’t formed at all. What should I do thank you.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dixie is a 6 month old kitten
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She has a brother too but he is fine
Answered by Denise Nelson in 2 hours 2 months ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi-Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. I'm terribly sorry you have not received an answer yet! Please be patient with me as I'm typing up replies as I don't type very fast!

I'm sorry Dixie is ill! All of the leftovers you mentioned could be the cause of the diarrhea.

Because the diarrhea is so severe and she hasn't been showing any improvement the best course of action would be to bring her into a local vet to be evaluated so she can receive proper treatment.

If you are absolutely unable to get Dixie into a vet, you could try withholding food for 24 hours to allow her gut time to rest. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available.

After Dixie has fasted for 24 hours, make her a mixture of 25% cooked white rice and 75% boiled skinless white meat chicken, shredded, with all of the fats and juices drained off. Feed one teaspoon every 3-4 hours initially, and then gradually increase the amount fed and the length of time between feedings. 

Also get her started on a Probiotic specifically for cats, which you can get at any pet store, to help re-establish a normal healthy balance of bacteria in her intestines. 

I'm sorry I missed you! Once Dixie has had normal stools for at least 48 hours you can gradually start mixing her regular food in with the chicken and rice, and then gradually wean her off the rice mix. If Dixie won't eat anything at all, if the diarrhea persists, or if she becomes extremely lethargic, then you definitely need to bring her into a local vet for an exam, assessment, and appropriate treatment. I hope poor Dixie is all right and that she is doing better for you soon!

Customer
Thank you, ***** ***** I have an appointment this morning at 8:30

You're very welcome, and I definitely think that is the best course of action. I hope Dixie is feeling better soon!

Customer
Thank you ❤️

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.