I have 3 cats. One of them over stimulates easly. He is friends with both of the other cats, but sometimes he'll just

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have 3 cats. One of them over stimulates easly. He is friends with both of the other cats, but sometimes he'll just jump on them for no reason and bite them hard. One of them just defends herself well but the other not so much. He gives her quite deep puncture wounds on her neck. I need to do something about him.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat hurt his neck? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: No but the whole looks deep. She just healed and he did
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: The biting cat is Smudge he's 5. The one that gets hurt is Jax,4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by KaitlynV416 in 9 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
KaitlynV416
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I am Dr. V. I am sorry to hear that your pet is having troubles. I am a licensed small animal veterinarian. I am here to help answer your question. Please be advised that while this forum is for advice, veterinary licensing laws prohibit me from making a diagnosis or dispensing medications. The site may automatically offer a phone service. I am unable to offer phone services at this time. You can decline the offer and continue allowing me to help you if you would like. Please allow me to review the information you have provided and formulate a response. This may take a few minutes.

Just so that I am understanding your main concern, you are looking for advice on the inter-cat aggression issues that Smudge is displaying to Jax, is that correct?

Customer
Hi

Okay. When was the last time Smudge was examined by your vet?

Customer
A couple years, I guess. He's always been like this. He's nice and then he bites. I believe he was taken from mom to soon.
Customer
I've ordered a calming collar in hopes that it will help.

Inter-cat aggression can be difficult to manage. There can be many contributing factors including resource guarding (food, litter boxes, favourite hiding/ sleeping spots), stress/ anxiety, dominance, and other behavioural issues. Ensuring there is equal and ample access to resources amongst the cats will be very important, so that Jax does not have to confront Smudge for essentials/ preferences.

Using a synthetic pheromone called Feliway (available at veterinary clinics and pet stores) can help to quell some stress/ anxiety in multi-cat households.

There are calming foods (prescription, veterinary exclusive) that have been scientifically proven to also reduce some unwanted behaviors.

Sometimes we need to default to medications to reduce stress/ anxiety and reduce aggressive behaviors. Prozac (fluoxetine) is commonly used for this purpose in cats with some success.

I recommend you check out the following website for further guidance on ensuring you are meeting all the environmental needs of all 3 cats to reduce behavioural issues: https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats

If you are unable to reach a satisfactory level of cat "zen" with the Feliway ( I recommend the plug in version that constantly emits the pheromone for consistent usage), and ensuring their needs are met, then I recommend that both Smudge and Jax be examined by your veterinarian to rule out underlying health conditions, and then discuss starting behavior modifying medications (such as Prozac).

Customer
Ok thanks. I'll see how things go, and call my vet.

You are welcome. It has been my pleasure helping you today. I hope that the answer that I have provided is satisfactory. Please let me know if you need further clarification. Thank you for using Just Answer and trusting me to answer your question.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
KaitlynV416
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
KaitlynV416
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.