I put advantage on my cat and he’s managed to lick it while he was grooming. I put it on him around 12 noon. Dorito 2.5

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I put advantage on my cat and he’s managed to lick it while he was grooming
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I put it on him around 12 noon.
JA: Does he ever go outside?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Dorito 2.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I’m just concerned if I need to take him to a vet
Answered by KaitlynV416 in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
KaitlynV416
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I am Dr. V. I am sorry to hear that your pet is having troubles. I am a licensed small animal veterinarian. I am here to help answer your question. Please be advised that while this forum is for advice, veterinary licensing laws prohibit me from making a diagnosis or dispensing medications. The site may automatically offer a phone service. I am unable to offer phone services at this time. You can decline the offer and continue allowing me to help you if you would like. Please allow me to review the information you have provided and formulate a response. This may take a few minutes.

Are you able to take a picture of the medication package and attach it to the chat?

Customer
Hi
Customer
Customer attachment 10/26/2021 3:38:28 AM

Thanks. One moment

Can you confirm that you applied the appropriate dose, but you are concerned that he may have groomed off some of the medication?

Customer
I did apply the appropriate dose. But I noticed he was able to lick at it, And he was using his power to run at it then licking his paw.
Customer
I put it on this morning and he isn't acting sick but I'm just worried how long it would take for him to get sick

Ingesting/ grooming a small amount of the advantage medication is not cause for alarm. The topical medication can 'taste bad' and may cause salivation or vomiting, but is not considered toxic if ingested orally. At this time, I would monitor for any severe GI upset- repeated vomiting. Otherwise, I do not suspect you to see any other adverse effects. He should be just fine at this time, usually if we are to see a reaction, it will be immediately after exposure (again- it can cause oral irritation- salivation/ vomiting).

Customer
OK thank you so much I was really worried about him because He has a lot of reactions to different things.

I suspect if he hasn't had any ill effects by  now, he will be completely fine. You are very welcome. I hope that the answer that I have provided is satisfactory. Please let me know if you need further clarification. Thank you for using Just Answer and trusting me to answer your question.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
KaitlynV416
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
KaitlynV416
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.