My cat has diarrhea and he started throwing up today. When he threw up today there wasnt any foamy it was just green it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi so my cat has diarrhea and he started throwing up today
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: when he threw up today there wasnt any foamy it was just green it seemed like it was grass he is an outside cat and last tuesday he caught a bird and he bought it home and played with it till it died do you think because of that he is having stomach problems his had diarrhea for about 5 days
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: he is an outside cat so that could be likely
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** his around 8-9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thats all
Answered by Scott Perry in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Scott Perry
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you with your question. My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home. I will do my best to sort things out for you and give you my professional advice based on the history and signs.

I am happy to help you with this question. I understand how important an answer is to your question, so I will work on this for you until it is resolved. Approximately how many times has Kalu vomited?

Customer
Hi my name is*****'m Kalu mom

Hi Satabdi. I am happy to help.

Customer
He tried vomiting yesterday but nothing came out it was only his spit and then today he vomited once

One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could require treatment by a veterinarian, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status.

There are two methods to check the hydration level. The more accurate method is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Please let me know what you find.

Customer
But he is an outside cat and I'm a full time student so I'm not sure what his doing throughout the day
Customer
The fur falls down pretty quick
Customer
Like a second
Customer
But his gums does seem dry
Customer
But today he ate his wet food so Idk if I just touch it too much
Customer
But I noticed when his using the litter and his pooping he smacks his mouth

Thank you for checking the hydration. If his gums feel dry, then that is an indication of dehydration. This should be monitored closely and the goal is to have him hydrated within the next 5 to 7 hours. If he is dehydrated for longer than 5 hours, then a veterinarian should be seen. As long as the hydration test is normal, then you can continue to treat at home. There are a few different reasons why vomiting occurs in cats, but the most common reasons at this age are inflammatory intestine diseases. Sudden changes of food, swallowing a foreign object, food allergies, an intestinal parasite, or inflammatory bowel disease of the small intestine are some of the most common reasons for vomiting. Intestinal parasites are among the most common reasons, so giving a deworming treatment is recommended. Checking his stool for parasites by a veterinarian in your location is also recommended. Inflammation of the pancreas organ is also a possibility. The diagnostic options to determine which one it is will vary slightly, but blood testing and a fecal exam to evaluate for parasites are usually sufficient to make a diagnosis.

Treatments will be determined based on the underlying cause. For instance, a deworming treatment is given for a parasite, a prescription food diet is given for a food allergy. Finally, medication is usually needed for inflammatory bowel disease. At this point, until you can see a veterinarian to find out what is causing the problem, the best thing to do is to withhold food for a period of 6 to 8 hours. This allows the stomach to rest. You can also give an over-the-counter antacid such as famotidine (i.e. Pepcid AC) to help decrease nausea. The dose is 1/4 tablet (i.e. 2.5 mg) every 12 hours. If no vomiting occurs after about 6 hours, you can offer a canned poultry flavored food. This is easier to digest so it can help with nausea. That should help you.

Regarding diarrhea, this usually resolves within a 3 to 4 days of using a low fat diet. Adding kaolin and pectin and probiotics can help. If diarrhea continues for more than 4 days, then a veterinarian should be seen for treatment.

Customer
he did catch a bird from outside and played with it till it dead
Customer
Do u think he got bacteria from that and is causing his diarrhea and for that shoukd I take him to the vet for antibiotics
Customer
His drinking water right now
Customer
Oh I also did give him medicine to treat his diarrhea I gave him pet pectillin

It is definitely possible it could be caused by a bacteria or viral infection. That might have come from the bird. It is possible. Pectillin is related to pectin, so that is helpful for diarrhea.

Customer
But it didn't seem to help bc his still has diarrhea but I only gave it to him one day do u think I should give it to him longer and some probiotics and then if he doesn't get better then take him to the vet
Customer
Or should I just take him to the vet right away
Customer
I'm just really worried I dont want anything to happen to him but I'm also broke

Yes, you can definitely wait 3 to 5 days to see if it improves. You should be able to see an improvement within that time.

Customer
Okay and how many times a day should I give him pectin
Customer
Thank u so much btw I really appreciate the help

You can give it every 4 to 5 hours a day. It is OK to be given that frequently.

Customer
Okay and should I give him probiotics once a day with it

Yes. You can give it with the food.

Customer
Okay thank you so much

You are most welcome. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I will be happy to assist you.

This is Dr. Perry and I just wanted to check in to see if you have any follow up questions. Please let me know if you do and I will do my best to help.

Customer
Hi Dr.Perry, Kalu (my cat) is doing better he got his appetite back and started eating his usually 3 cans a day. I have been giving his Pectin and Probiotics but it seems like his still having diarrhea so I was going to take him to the vet on Monday if he didnt get better
Customer
Thank You for checking up on us

That is great to hear! Thank you for the update.

Customer
Hi I have another question
Customer
But this is for another issue so I have a cat that has been peeing everywhere around the house and does use his litter box what should I do to make him use his litter box

I am happy to help you with this question. The website requires that a new thread be made for new questions. Are you able to make a new question from the website or app first? Please put at the beginning ATTN: DR. PERRY. I will be able to see that faster and give you a prompt response.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Scott Perry
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Scott Perry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.