It doesn’t look like she has been eating her pellets today. Rabbit. She started peeing outside of her litter box

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: It doesn’t look like she has been eating her pellets today.
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Rabbit
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the rabbit's situation?
Customer: she started peeing outside of her litter box beginning of this week. And now it looks like she hasn’t been eating
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the rabbit also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: not more than usual. She does eat a treat when I give it to her though
JA: Does the rabbit seem to be in any pain?
Customer: she doesn’t seem like that.
JA: What's the rabbit's name?
Customer: Lemon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of.
Answered by KristinaH930 in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
KristinaH930
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, my name is*****

Customer
Hi my name is Avery

Please give me a few moments to review the information you have provided and formulate a response.  I will be be asking some additional questions, which will help me give you the best information possible.  Please disregard any requests to assist you with telephone calls as the system sometimes automatically generates the request.  If you are looking to have a phone call I will opt out so that another expert may assist you as I am unable to receive phone calls. Please also be advised that I am unable to prescribe any medications through this service, and will give you the best information possible, but often recommend that a pet be physically seen by their regular veterinarian, especially if they are in pain or distress of any kind.  I look forward to doing what I can to assist you!

Decreased appetite in rabbits is definitely a concern.  There can be a number of causes, but the fact that she was changing her litter box habits prior to this could be a clue that this is related to an underlying urinary issue.  Rabbits can get urinary tract infections, crystals and stones.  How old is Lemon?

Does she have access to hay as well?  Are the pellets timothy, or another type?

Customer
She is 7 months. She has Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets.

Has she been eating the hay?

How is her stool production?

Customer
Not that often. But she never really eats a lot. Her stool has been frequent but I did notice a few were oval shaped

Does she have a regular vet?

Customer
No I haven't taken her to one yet. But I could tonight if needed

Some rabbits are bad at eating the right amount of forage (which mostly needs to come from hay), which can cause there to not be enough fibre in the gut.  This can lead to gut problems, so the reduced appetite could be a result of her gut not functioning properly, or it could be a sign of something else going on.  Once the gut slows down too much it can lead to a life threatening condition called gut stasis, so if you are able to bring her to a vet for an exam so they can see if she has any dental issues, or check her urine for an infection, that would definitely be the safest thing for her.  The earlier it is treated, the better off she will be.

Good luck with Lemon, I hope you are able to get her seen quickly.  Please feel free to provide an update, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Customer
Thank you we are taking her to the vet in the morning

That's great, I hope things go well!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
KristinaH930
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
KristinaH930
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.