5-6 month old Gray Tabby-male hasn't been fixed yet only had boosters pool of blood on top of his last poop leaking

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 5-6 month old Gray Tabby-male hasn't been fixed yet only had boosters pool of blood on top of his last poop leaking slowly from his anus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the cat's stool? Does he seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: this was the first time...he was shaking when he pooped which normally doesnt happen so I immediately removed the lid from the box and there was a small puddle on top of the sto stool*
JA: Did the cat eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: no. same dry food and between two wet foods he has eaten since I got him
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mochi Allister Everett he is about 5 months maybe 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have a year and a half old boy and he had a twin brother both in the home with him Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by T Fisher DVM in 18 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** I have experience and education in exotic/avian medicine in addition to dogs and cats. I am NOT available by phone so you may ignore the request for a phone call if it automatically generates and we will continue the chat via text. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you.  It may take me a few minutes to respond as I may be typing up a response or helping another concerned pet owner.

Veterinary Practice Laws of my state only allow me to provide general advice regarding your pet’s health condition. I cannot provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications without performing a physical exam on your pet.  I will help you decide if the problem with your pet is something you can manage at home, or if additional diagnostic testing or treatment needs to be performed by a veterinarian.

Just a minute while I get a few questions together along with a response.

Is Mochi having diarrhea along with the bloody stool? Is he acting normally otherwise? Normal energy, appetite? When did he get the booster vaccines?

Customer
he got his boosters about a month ago now I'd say. his appetite is normal. his poops are softer but not diarrhea..I'm assuming they're softer because of the can of wet food he has for dinner daily but im not sure anymore.

Diet can definitely play a role in causing softer stools. You could try taking out the wet food for the next week and see if this helps. Parasites, inflammatory conditions, stress, among other diseases can cause softer stool as well. Sometimes anal gland issues (there are two little sacs that sit just inside the anus 4:00 and 8:00 position) that can become inflamed and causing bleeding into the feces. Are you still noticing the blood. Has he ever had a fecal exam performed to check for parasites?

Customer
I just lifted his tail and there are drops of blood around his anus
Customer
the blood just started yesterday..
or I noticed the bloody stool then. it could have been before I suppose

I think it would be a good idea to get him assessed by a veterinarian in the next few days. If there is a lot of blood (continuous pools), he is declining in energy, vomiting or having liquid diarrhea profusely, consider emergency. I think it  would be a good idea for his regular vet to check out his feces for parasites, and also perform a rectal exam to check out the anal glands in addition to a normal physical exam. He may just need an antibiotic to help clear this, potentially a diet change, but I would just want to ensure that things are checking out ok!

Customer
I did.
they looked for heartworms in the stool. didn't find any...and returned him to me.
Customer
he was given an antibiotic which he will start today. we saw a vet yesterday however, from what I hear this vet is not the best around by a long shot so I wanted a second opinion

Do you know the name of the antibiotic?

Customer
I will definitely be taking him to another veterinarian. he is supposed to be neutered this upcoming Friday
Customer
um...let me check
Customer
Customer attachment 10/26/2021 2:43:58 PM
Customer
this is the paperwork given at the end of his visit yesterday
Customer
Flagyl or Flaqyl.. I'm not sure which it is

Flagyl is the antibiotic (generic metronidazole) and this is what I reach for in my patients that don't have obvious parasites and I suspect simple gastrointestinal upset. I think that you can continue this antibiotic for the next few days and see how he gets on, but if worsening, definitely consider a second opinion or follow up. You could always set up the appointment and if he is improving, cancel with notice, as I know it can be hard to get into a vet clinic these days.

Customer
okay. I definitely will do so!
Customer
thank you very much for your time..
I feel better about it all now that's for sure.

Ok great, I hope he feels better soon!

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer
thank you for your insight.
the help offered was exactly what I needed.

Perfect, take care! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
T Fisher DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.