My cat is about 6 months old and i have had her for a little over a month now. since having her she has yet to use the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat is about 6 months old and i have had her for a little over a month now. since having her she has yet to use the litterbox. She tends to go in the bathroom shower/sink and my bed. I have tried many things i have read online and still nothing seesm to be working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: For a monthh now
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: she stays inside and she is not on any medication
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Peach, 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have taken her to the vet once already to make sure there was no infection. They had told me a few things to do to try and help peach but none seemed to work. She is also not spayed yet but I am trying to set that appointment up at the vet
Answered by Dr. Lindsey, D.V.M. in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Lindsey, D.V.M.
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for reaching out to JustAnswer. This is Dr. Lindsey, I have over 24 years experience in the Veterinary field including 8 years as a practicing Veterinarian. I understand how important your pet is to you and entrusting me as part of their care.
Veterinary laws prohibits me from making a diagnosis or prescribing medications without a physical examination of your pet, but I will make my best recommendations based on the information you give me.
You may receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call.  This is not directly from me; I am unable to take phone consultations at this time and you do not have to accept the offer for a call.
Please give me a moment to write a response.

Customer
Thank you

I am sorry that Peach is having some inappropriate urination. I know this can be frustrating. How many litter boxes do you have for Peach? Any other cats in the house?

Customer
Peach is the only animal in the house. There are two litter boxes. One with a cover and the other without.
Customer
Both litter boxes are in my room as i have roommates and they do not want the litter boxes to be anywhere else
Customer
Customer
Botg litter boxes are in my room as i have roommates and they do not want the litter boxes to be anywhere else

What type of litter are you using?

Customer
Unsented corn litter
Customer
It is what they used at her old home.

Okay, So this can be behavioral. I would try and switch to a different litter. I have good success with Tidy Cat clumping litter. Do you have the litter in a quiet area for her?

Another thing you can try is Feliway:

https://www.chewy.com/brands/feliway-6614?nav-submit-button=&ref=searchRedirect&ref-query=feliway

This is a natural pheromones that can help calm cats with urinary issues.

Customer
I do have that. I was told to spray that in the ares she is trying to mark.

You can continue with that. Also providing some enrichment toys may help with distraction. Chewy has some toys that move on their own and may keep her busy.

Customer
She has many toys at the house, and i have tried playing with them near her litter box so she feels safe, are you saying I should get a toy to stay by the litter box?

No, just a toy for her to play with. It doesnt have to be near the litter box. My cats love this toy:

https://www.chewy.com/smartykat-loco-motion-electronic-cat/dp/130291

If you can you may want to switch up the location of the litter boxes in case it has something to do with that.

But defintely start with a differnt type of litter and make sure you scoop daily.

Customer
Alright. Well she has yet to ever use the litter boslx so thete really isnt anything to scoop as of right now. I have used a few different tupes of litter already as well. I have been told by a few people that it could be because she isnt spayed yet. Could that be the issue or is that not likely?

It could be because she is not spayed yet. When she goes outside the litter box, pick up her poop and/or urine (if you can) and place it into the litter box. then Put her near it so hopefully she will get the idea to use the litter box.

Customer
Got it, will do. Thank you!

You're welcome. I know behavioral issues can be frustration. Hopefully we can figure this out and she starts using the box.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Lindsey, D.V.M.
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Lindsey, D.V.M.
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.