I have a 6 week old kitten and I changed his formula to stage 2 on Friday. Starting yesterday he has had loose stool and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 6 week old kitten and I changed his formula to stage 2 on Friday. Starting yesterday he has had loose stool and his bottom is so sore he cries.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the kitten eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: just the fhe different formula
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: milo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by E.Childress,DVM in 1 hour 1 year ago
imglogo
E.Childress,DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello!  I am Dr. Erica, a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer, and I am here to help you!  I would like to let you know that while this is a forum for veterinary advice, I am not legally permitted to make a diagnosis, dispense medications, nor form a doctor-patient relationship through this website.  However, I am here to help guide you and your pet toward a resolution to the best of my ability.

Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.  I may ask a few additional questions to gain understanding and better help you and your pet.  I appreciate your patience.

You may receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call.  This is not directly from me; I am unable to take phone consultations at this time and you do not have to accept the offer for a call.

Can you tell me if Milo has been started on any solid food yet and if he has been dewormed?

Customer
Won't eat solid food no to worming getting shots this week

Ok; diarrhea in kittens is very common and truthfully it can sometimes be very stubborn and difficult to get rid of.  If you guy has an appointment later this week, I would go ahead and start him on a probiotic such as Fortiflora or Proviable while you wait for your appointment.  You can apply some type of protective coating to his little bottom is he is that sore - usually just plain Vaseline for a kitty that litter (which is non-toxic if he tries to lick it off).

I am sure that your vet will deworm him and that will also help, and if he needs any medications besides the probiotic they can provide that too.  I would try and get this guy on some solid food too; have you tried mixing the forumla with his kibble or offering canned food?

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions or concerns about this little one!  These babies can be tough but they are worth it!

Customer
I have tried EVERYTHING

To get him on solid food you mean?

Customer
Hi

He may just not be ready - keep trying!  That may be contributing to his diarrhea though, so keep at it.  Sometimes they just need a little time and encouragement.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
E.Childress,DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
E.Childress,DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.