I think my cat is having episodes similar to "feline orofacial pain syndrome". I had an old dog who had seizures and she

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I think my cat is having episodes similar to "feline orofacial pain syndrome". I had an old dog who had seizures and she recently went to the Rainbow Bridge - this dog and cat had been together for 10 years - when the dog seizures started, the cat started with the "FOPS" episodes- once the dog had passed the cat seemed more stressed and lost - the episodes continued- I got another dog who has very little interest in the dog but when the cat gets in the room looking for attention and the dog is near, the episodes start again. If the cat and I are completely alone, he doesn't seem to be stressed and the episodes almost never occur. I feel this is stress/anxiety induced. The cat has a safe space for food, water, to sleep, sit in windows etc. Is there anything I can give to help reduce his stress, like CBD oil?
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 4 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
They can suffer from anxiety similar too humans. The concern is that anxiety can progress and worsen over time. As this occurs more signs and behavioral changes may be seen also. At times aggression can come about too. They may also show many different clinical signs as changes in eating, drinking, sleeping, over grooming and at times more depressed.
If they are suffering from this amount of anxiety, you may want to consider medical help. There is a very good and safe medication called Paroxetine, generic Paxil. This works very well to help bring the anxiety level down over time. This generally begins to take effect after being on it for 1-2 months. Following 1-2 months of use, then one can assess the response to the medication. The dosage can then be adjusted accordingly at that point in time. For more stressful times a medication called Alprazolam can be considered. Alprazolam can last 4-8 hours at a time. It can be used on more of an as needed basis. This is something that you can discuss with your veterinarian or another medication of their preference also. Often behavior modification alone will not address the intense anxiety that they experience.An over the counter option some clients have had some success with are the CBD oils.Often one can look to even start with CBD oils as they are over the counter. The key is to reduce stress and anxiety. The concern is that if this continues over time the potential anxiety can worsen. This can lead to more stress, poorer quality of life, and more behavioral issues too. This is why focusing on the underlying issue can be most beneficial. If only trying to correct a behavior then often process is not made and the anxiety can become worse.

We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Cat today. I wish Cat a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.