My 8 year old diabetic cat has thrown up some food/bile the last 2 days..seems to happen after he eats. I give him

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 8 year old diabetic cat has thrown up some food/bile the last 2 days..seems to happen after he eats. I give him insulin 2x day. Today he did eat some wet food and a bit of dry and does not want much water. He seems withdrawn/sad and not himself.
JA: I'm so sorry the cat isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: yes, possible....we live in the country on a farm in a big farm house and not sure if he is eating dead flies and boxelder bugs that have gotten in the house. He is an indoor cat so he has not been outside.
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Meeko and 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I know he is not himself and the one thing he always does is climb in my bed in the am and get me up. I could not even find him this am and he did finally come and he has been going down in the basement(unfinished) but his cat litter box is there. It is just behavior not like him!
Answered by LisaQ102 in 22 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
LisaQ102
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I’m Dr. Lisa and I’m sorry to hear Meeks isn’t feeling well. How long has he been diabetic and how much insulin is he currently on?

Customer
He has been diabetic over 2 years and takes 5 units in the am and 5 units in the pm. He just had a blood glucose done in August and his levels were the best ever.

Okay great.

Customer
do not want a live phone call
Customer
Are you still here?

Cats with diabetes are prone to episodes of pancreatitis. I suspect this may be going on with the symptoms you are describing. It can be extremely painful and it also typically causes vomiting. If it doesn’t resolve on its own within a few days I would recommend taking him to his vet. They can prescribe pain medication and anti- nauseas meds. We also typically like to give them fluids to help with the dehydration they tend to experience during these episodes.

The phone call is an automated response front he website. It is not required. We can continue to chat here.

Customer
pancreatitis can go away in a few days??

Yes, it resolves within a few days in many cases. Some cases can progress though to require hospitalization.

Customer
ok I will watch him closely today and if not better today, will take him to my vet in the am. Thanks for all your help

My pleasure. I’ll be online today and tomorrow if you have any other questions or if anything changes with Meeko.

Customer
ok thanks

You’re welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LisaQ102
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
LisaQ102
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.