My cat has been acting differently the last couple days. Yesterday, he scratched my husbands face and hissed at me

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat has been acting differently the last couple days. Yesterday, he scratched my husbands face and hissed at me after. Last night, his breathing seemed to be a little wheezy. He has always seemed to be a little stuffy, but it seemed worse last night.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with his hissing?
Customer: It only happened once and it was immediately after scratching my husbands face. So I have not needed to do much else. It was very unlike him though
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Leo and he is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing else that I can think of
Answered by T Fisher DVM in 1 day 1 year ago
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hello; any advice or answers?

Hello, my name is***** I have experience and education in exotic/avian medicine in addition to dogs and cats. I am NOT available by phone so you may ignore the request for a phone call if it automatically generates and we will continue the chat via text. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you.  It may take me a few minutes to respond as I may be typing up a response or helping another concerned pet owner.

Veterinary Practice Laws of my state only allow me to provide general advice regarding your pet’s health condition. I cannot provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications without performing a physical exam on your pet.  I will help you decide if the problem with your pet is something you can manage at home, or if additional diagnostic testing or treatment needs to be performed by a veterinarian.

I am sorry it took longer for an expert to get to you. Is Leo still wheezy? Is he coughing? Has he been aggressive before? Was there any trigger that you can think of to initiate the scratch (cat or dog outside, construction, loud noise on the TV?) Is he sneezing or coughing or breathing heavily/quickly?

Customer
His wheezing seems better. I’ve been focusing on his breathing, and it was about 50 breaths/min. At times yesterday, but then saw it go back to 30-35..
He has never hissed before, which made me think maybe he was uncomfortable.. but he seemed fine and back to himself last night

That is good. Cats can become aggressive for behavioral reasons, ie too much petting, stress (look for tail flicking, ears going back, hair standing up) as these are signs of an upset cat. They can do this for medical reasons as well. IF the wheezing or aggression is continuous  I would advise bringing him to the vet to get evaluated to ensure there aren't medical conditions underlying.

Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer
Thank you for your help!

Of course, take care!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
T Fisher DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
T Fisher DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.