I accidentally gave my cat the incorrect flea medication dose. It was for large cats and she is a small cat. She began

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I accidentally gave my cat the incorrect flea medication dose. It was for large cats and she is a small cat. She began salivating but has since stopped has drank water.
Answered by Scott Perry in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Scott Perry
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you with your question. My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home. I will do my best to sort things out for you and give you my professional advice based on the history and signs.
I am happy to help you with this question. I understand how important an answer is to your question, so I will work on this for you until it is resolved. Can you please tell me the name of the flea prevention that was applied?
Customer
Advantage II for large cats
This will be OK regarding a toxicity concern. The amount of the ingredient applied could cause some skin irritation and possibly some upset stomach or limited stumbling to walk, but it will not cause any problems of internal organ injury. Therefore, this is not an emergency and no immediate treatments are required. You could remove it by bathing if it was applied within the last 24 hours. It is recommended to monitor for signs of vomiting and nausea such as excessive lip licking, drooling, or multiple attempts to swallow. Nausea is usually self-limiting and does not typically require treatment, but you may give an over-the-counter antacid such as 5 mg of famotidine (i.e. Pepcid AC) or omeprazole (i.e. Prilosec) if needed. If no signs are seen after 6 to 8 hours, then no further monitoring is necessary.
Customer
Thank you

You are most welcome. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I will be happy to assist you.

This is Dr. Perry and I just wanted to check in to see if you have any follow up questions. Please let me know if you do and I will do my best to help.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Scott Perry
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Scott Perry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.