Blood in her poop. Kitten. About 10 mins ago and she is drinking normal. Not that I noticed. Scarlet. I don’t think so

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Blood in her poop
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: kitten
JA: When did you notice there was blood in the kitten's stool? Does she seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: About 10 mins ago and she is drinking normal
JA: Did the kitten eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Not that I noticed
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: scarlet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so .. I do have a pic if needed
Answered by Dr. Peter in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Scarlet; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Does she have diarrhea?

Any vomiting?

How old is Scarlet?

Can you post the picture on this chat?

Customer
Hi there I replied through my text did you get it ?

I am sorry, I did not get it. Can you reply here?

Customer
4 months
Drinking ok No to diarrhea
Customer
File attached (ST15QMT)
Customer
Pictures attached
Customer
Did they come through ?

Yes, thank you. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

Customer
Sounds good , looking forward to hearing form you

I am sorry Scarlet has bloody feces. Many different medical conditions can cause this. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, in a kitten, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc., to name a few causes. Unfortunately, you are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home; I am sorry. I recommend seeing her by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food for 12 hours; water is okay. It is best to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, feed her boiled rice (25%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (75%) until the stool is normal and wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic; these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome.

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.