She had an infection in her leg had antibiotics shot a few weeks ago and its swollen again. Originally when it first

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She had an infection in her leg had antibiotics shot a few weeks ago and its swollen again.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the infection yet?
Customer: Originally when it first happend yes they drained it and did a antibiotic shot and she was fine. But noticed swelling today and the vet is not open
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Adley 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'm an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to provide you with excellent service. Kindly allow me a moment to review your question.
Thank you for your patience! I’m very sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, but I appreciate you reaching out to us for assistance. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. I’m so sorry Adley is not well. You must be so worried. I have a few questions I will ask below that will help me to understand what could be going on with her.-did her vet know the cause of the infection?
-does she go outside and could this have been a bite wound from another animal?
-did she have any sort of surgical procedure where a drain was placed?Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.
Customer
Just to be clear You cannot prescribe her antibiotics?

We are not able to prescribe on this forum without an in person physical exam, no. It's against the medical license, but there may be some platforms which collect your information and schedule an actual exam.

However with a swelling, if it was drained, my fear is it needs a surgical drain placed, and antibiotics will not be enough to fully eradicate the infection. Especially if this was a bite wound in the first place.

I hope Adley is feeling better soon. I sure wish you both all the best. Do be aware that if there was fluid the vet drew off with a needle, that is by definition an abscess and that's almost never successful because the needle puncture heals up quickly, so an open drainage tube is most commonly placed for a few days to allow all the pus to leak out while antibiotics are started, which is the only way to successfully and permanently treat an abscess. I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.
Warmly,

Dr. Nicki

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome. If you do feel you want to take her to an emergency vet and need help locating one, do not hesitate to write back and I can help you search for one in your city. With this recurring I fear she may need a surgical procedure to treat this successfully.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.