Having trouble finding an emergency vet I. My area that has vacancy. 9wk old kitten. Had shots a week ago. Diarrhea

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Having trouble finding an emergency vet I. My area that has vacancy. 9wk old kitten. Had shots a week ago. Diarrhea stools recently, looks like more liquid pop today, looks like blood.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the kitten eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Had pumpkin purée for first time today.
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Waffle
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: sleey a lot but otherwise ok
Answered by VetTechErin in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
VetTechErin
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I have 15 years of experience working both in clinic and with animal poison control where I studied animal poisonings.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your pet into a clinic, or if you're able to manage an issue at home. Sometimes it takes me a bit of time to type out a longer response, please be patient!

Other than the diarrhea, is Waffle showing any signs of illness? Any vomiting, lack of appetite, or lethargy?

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:48:08 PM
Customer
That's her last poop and the yellow was vomit. After eating the pumpkin purée.
Customer
She's been eating regular wet and dry cat food the entire time. First time we gave her a teaspoon of the pumpkin.
Customer
Not really a lack of appetite than normal. We've o lot had her a week and this is our first pet so not sure what normal is yet. But she ate breakfast time 6hrs ago. Then the pumpkin maybe 3 hrs ago.
Customer
Not lethargic from what I can tell.

And she seems interested in eating the food, she's eating the whole meal, not just nibbling small bits of it, then abandoning it?

Customer
She's eats all of the food, but also not giving her a lot at a time.
Customer
She eats a little less than a quarter of can (wet) mixed with 1/16th cup of kibble.

Have you had her in to the vet for her first wellness check yet? Or had a fecal sample taken to check for parasites?

Customer
she had her first wellness check plus shots. Sent in fecal sample last Tuesday and have not heard back since.

I would give them a call to check up on that, as parasites would be a very common cause for the type of problems you are seeing.

Almost anything can cause diarrhea in a cat, like intestinal parasites or minor irritation of the colon.

You can try to treat this at home unless you see bright red blood in the stool or the diarrhea is repeated and profuse. We do this with a combination of an anti-diarrhea medication and a probiotic to get their gut bacteria back in balance.

If you don't see a response to the medication, the next step would be to take a fecal sample to the vet to look for parasites.

FortiFlora is a safe probiotic formulated specifically for cats, and you can obtain it here:

https://prf.hn/l/7EvoMep

Pro-pectalin is a cat-safe anti-diarrhea medication, and you can obtain it here:

https://prf.hn/l/6Z8nG8N

Customer
Thank you. Emergency room visit averted.

You're most welcome! If you start to see repeated bouts of vomiting, or profuse diarrhea, then you will again want to consider the ER clinic, but for the moment, you can try to manage this at home!

Did you have any additional questions or concerns I can address for you?

Just wanted to follow up with you! Please reach out to me if anything changes, or if you just need to touch base!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
VetTechErin
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
VetTechErin
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.