3 of her claws look inflamed, I did some research and it appears to be paronychia. I think she needs treatment, but I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 3 of her claws look inflamed, I did some research and it appears to be paronychia. I think she needs treatment, but I don't have the money for a vet 😭
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat's claw been inflamed?
Customer: A few days I'm thinking.
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: No and no I'm scared it might be from the new pellets I bought for the cat box.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** she's about 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at this time
Answered by VetTechErin in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
VetTechErin
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I have 15 years of experience working both in clinic and with animal poison control where I studied animal poisonings.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your pet into a clinic, or if you're able to manage an issue at home. Sometimes it takes me a bit of time to type out a longer response, please be patient!

There are a lot of possible causes for inflammation around the nails in a cat. Are you seeing any pus or discharge, or does the nail beds just seem swollen and red?

Customer
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me. Her nailbeds are swollen, and warm. 3 of them that I noticed.
Customer
I didn't notice puss or discharge, but she didn't let me look too much.

Did the swelling seem to start at the same time as you switched the litter?

Customer
Maybe after, I have been using the pellets for a few weeks, and I've noticed the last couple of days she has been quiet. It's possible it's been the Sam time and I'm just now noticing it.
Customer
I was going to take her to a vet, I suspect that she may have paronychia, but all the vets are closed, and the other vets further away are so expensive, I feel terrible.
Customer
I can take some pictures and send to you if that helps at all.

Luckily, this is not something that you need to rush her to the ER clinic for, so even if she does need some antibiotics, it can safely wait until your normal vet opens.

There are some things you can also try at home to see if it helps while you wait to get her in!

Please do send over a picture!

Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:31:36 PM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/24/2021 8:32:29 PM

The base of the nail bed there looks fairly yellow in color. Is that a moist discharge from the nail?

Customer
It does look like puss
Customer
Maybe from her liking at it, but it does look infected
Customer
Is there anyway to get antibiotics over the counter??

Okay, that most likely is a bacterial infection then. This is something that will likely need oral antibiotics from a vet clinic. Does she seem feverish, or have any other signs of illness like vomiting, lack of appetite, or anything like that?

Customer
She seems a little warm, and once I finally took her downstairs to eat she ate a little bit, seems a little lethargic. Maybe from being in pain.

Just to check, can you look at her gums and make sure that this isn't a skin color that we're seeing in any other parts of her body?

Customer
Her gums are pink

Okay. I would keep her isolated to an area where she doesn't have to walk around a lot to get to her food and litter box, and then get her in as soon as you're able tomorrow. Infections like this tend to respond really well to oral antibiotics, which you unfortunately cannot get over the counter. But once she's started on medications, it should help alleviate the inflammation and the pain.

Don't try and give her any over the counter pain medications, as the human meds we use are all varying levels of toxic to cats.

Customer
Ok thank you.
Customer
No I don't give my babies any human medicine.

Okay perfect. All in all, this is something that definitely needs to be treated, but it's typically not life-threatening or anything that we need to panic over.

Did you have any additional questions or concerns I can address for you?

Customer
No, I just needed to get her some medicine asap. But if you aren't able to help me get a prescription for that, then that is all, thank you again.

Unfortunately, it is illegal to prescribe medication for an animal over the internet when you've never done a physical examination, so that's not something anyone on the site would be able to do. I wish there was something easier that you could give over-the-counter, but in this situation, an antibiotic is going to be your best bet. My apologies if you were under the impression that we could prescribe here.

If anything does change, and you need to ask anything further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me again here.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
VetTechErin
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
VetTechErin
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.