Itchy around edge of ears, also itchy on feet and slightly swollen. It started about 2 weeks ago, last week I bought an

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Itchy around edge of ears, also itchy on feet and slightly swollen
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the itchiness? Has the cat been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: it started about 2 weeks ago, last week I bought an itch liquid for cats from Chewie.com, but she licks it off and it's not helping the ears or the paws
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Princess, about 1 yr
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she was a feral kitten, very smart, we tamed her, very loveable but spirited, but now not so much. There are 2 other cats in the house, not effected by the itch. They all go in and out.
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?

Are you currently on any flea and tick medication?

Customer
no other changes in eating, etc; spade at about 6 mo ago, rabies shot and revolution applied at same time
Customer
flea drops applied about a week ago
At times ear canal issues can lead to these signs. I will next discuss ears, then skin then also ensuring on a flea and tick medication as Frontline as goes outdoors. Frontline will address ear and skin mites, lice, fleas and ticks. If it has been 6 months since Revolution then a topical item may be most beneficial also.
The following is a discussion on ears. The ear canal is in the shape of an "L", which can allow for the accumulation of moist and warm debris, like wax. Upon this debris the opportunistic yeast and bacteria that normally live in the ear canal can start to grow and proliferate to higher levels. One way to assist with this is to flush the ears twice a day to begin with. An ear flush with chlorhexidine and many times additional miconozole or ketoconazole can be looked for. This will assist in the removal of the debris and the chlorhexidine will also kill the yeast and the bacteria in the ear canal. Then, once the ears become cleaner, one can decrease and use on an as needed basis. You may need to do from time to time to keep the ears healthy. The addition of miconozole or ketoconazole will also help to control yeast better. The following are some examples you can look for:This product can be purchased over the counter at pet stores or online like on Amazon. Here are some examples and each type of product. Each example works by a different process, that is why they work best together.
1. Thomas Labs Micochlor Plus Ear Flush contains Chlorhexidine and miconozole to aid against yeast and bacteria2. Zymox -H ( has hydrocortisone) to assist with itch and inflammation. This can assist in addition to help with itch and inflammation.Most flushes just get the material out and do not kill the yeast and bacteria. This also kills yeast and bacteria too. The Zymox H has hydrocortisone in it to help with itch and inflammation.Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.
The concern is the in the skin there can be opportunistic bacteria and yeast that can proliferate to higher levels and can potentially cause skin problems. This is seen more often when there is skin damage by way if moisture or damage. The excess moisture can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize and to proliferate to higher levels, as these levels increase then more issues may arise. Topical sprays with chlorhexidine and miconozole can assist with yeast and bacteria control. This can be applied to the area 2-4 times a day. They can kill the yeast and bacteria as they are applieed. The chlorhexidine can address yeast and bacteria and the miconozole will also will address yeast. There is a topical spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can webe sprayed onto the red and itchy skin to alleviate much of the clinical signs also. This can be done 2-4 times a day as needed also the reduce itch and inflammation. The following are some example to look for, these can be found over the counter like at pet stores, pet section in some stores or online like at Amazon. It is generally more effective when the two different types of sprays are used together as explained below.1. Thomas Labs MicoChlor Plus Spray
The chlorhexidine will help to clean and disinfect and to address yeast and bacteria. The miconozole will address yeast also.
2. SynergyLabs-Veterinary-Formula-Clinical Care. Premium Itch Relief. The lidocaine and hydrocortisone will help with itch, pain and inflammation.These items are over the counter and can be found at pet stores, the pet section like at Wal Mart or Amazon. I gave one brand example however many different brands are available. Most important is to look for the same active ingredients.
Customer
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Princess  today. I wish Princess  a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.