I have 3 cats. One is very over weight so I'm looking for the best option on what to feed him. I usually do dry but I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have 3 cats. One is very over weight so I'm looking for the best option on what to feed him. I usually do dry but I also give wet food. Is just simply plain raw chicken ok to give once in a while? Thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat's weight been a concern?
Customer: He's been over weight for a while now. Probably close to a year now
JA: When did the cat last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No meds & its been closer to 2 years since a visit. I know I should take him in to make sure theres no medical issues. I'm just trying to see if there's a better food option also. Right now they eat Blue Wilderness
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Oreo & 14 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I dont think so. He acts normal, does everything regualry. Like he use to love getting in the tub for water but he hasn't done that in a while & I know it because of his weight. I try as much as possible to keep him active. He's a indoor cat but likes to go outside when the sun goes down, more quite so I've been thinking about taking him on short walks but I have to have either a can of wet food or treats to make him do the walk
Answered by Dr. Keto in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Keto
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is*****  I'm a veterinarian with 21 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you and Oreo today.

Please allow me some time in between replies so that I may type out a detailed answer for you.  You should have a reply in under 5 minutes.

Do you know about how much Oreo weighs?

Customer
he was at 22 pounds at last vet visit but i can way him in a few minutes

Ok, thank you.  Please allow me a moment to type my response.

Cats tend to lose weight and have better metabolism on an all canned-food diet.  Call it the "Catkins" diet, like the human Atkins diet, if you like.  Dry cat foods contain lots of carbohydrates, which tend to make cats gain fat.

Since Oreo is very large, I recommend feeding him 2 small cans (3 oz) of canned food twice a day.  Something like Fancy Feast classic is very good for this.  I DO NOT recommend feeding any raw meat, because he's likely to get sick from bacterial contamination.  Since you have 3 cats, you will have to meal-feed all of them.  Feed them all their individual meals twice a day, and then pick the food up after 5-10 minutes.  They can eat again at the next meal and will quickly learn to eat their fill at each meal.

Since Oreo is 14, I also recommend taking him to the vet for an exam and some bloodwork.  He's a senior citizen and may have some underlying health concerns.

Did you have any additional questions?

Customer
I don't over feed them. They get 1/3 cup of dry food twice a day. If I home they may get a snack size in between or I give them wet food at dinner time. Am I giving him enough food?

Well, he's obese, so he's getting too much food.

Customer
No, sounds good. I'll switch to the wet food and see how it goes & ofcourse take him to the vets. Should I put them all on wet food?

I like all canned-food diets for cats, and that is all I feed my own.  Most cats in the "normal" size range, like around 10 pounds, only require 1 3-oz can twice a day.

Customer
Thank you so much

I'm glad I could help, and thanks for using Just Answer!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Keto
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Keto
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.