My cat is lethargic. Has vomited twice and is now hyper Hypersalivating. Looks like food and liquidity. I have 2 other

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat is lethargic . Has vomited twice and is now hyper Hypersalivating
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Looks like food and liquidity
JA: Could the cat have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: I have 2 other cats they are fine. She has been eating more hard food than usual We always give half wet and half hard food
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Keana sheis 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's most of it
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I'm an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to provide you with excellent service. Kindly allow me a moment to review your question.

Thank you for your patience! I’m very sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues, but I appreciate you reaching out to us for assistance. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. I’m so sorry Keana is not well. You must be so worried. I have a few questions I will ask below that will help me to understand what could be going on with her.

• Has she ever acted like this before?
  • Is she an indoor cat?
  • Has she been healthy?
  • How long ago did this start?

Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.

Customer
No she has never acted this way. She is about 12 lb seven years old. Indoor cat. She is healthy for the most part the thing is she is highly anxious and I haven't seen a vet for some time due to the fact she is hard to put in a carrier and she has projectile pooped at the vets office.
Customer
She began vomiting today at 3 am. Since then it has only been 2 more times. She is now lethargic and is hyper salivating.
I'm really sorry about that. Does she vomit sometimes from time to time? How spread out were the vomits today?
Customer
She has vomited on the past after going out the front door and purposely eats grass.
Customer
She will vomit once and that's it and that is maybe 1 every 3 to 4 weeks
Customer
She rarely going outside
Does she go outside normally?
Customer
No
Customer
Never
Could she have gotten into trouble outside or eating something outside or got in a fight with a cat anytime in the last few days?
she'll just step out and take a few pieces of grass but that's it?
Customer
I do have 2 other cats but they don't fight. She hasn't been outside for 2 wks
Customer
she has done that but
In terms of vomiting, she's a middle-aged cat so they can certainly get their fair share of health problems such as kidney or liver disease or thyroid disease. I do want to confirm that she is spayed?
Customer
Hasn't been out of the house recently
Is she up to date on all of her shots since she's going outside?
Customer
She is spayed
Customer
Hi

That's good. Has she been to the vet recently? Any history of a heart murmur?

Customer
No she hasn't recently due to the fact she is hyper anxious e and I get her on the carrier
Customer
She is drinking water
Customer
Lots of water no food since the vomiting
Customer
She keeps closing her eyes

I didn't know if they have given you a sedative you can administer prior to the  vet, or mentioned that. You may want to ask for that for her next visit.

How long has it been then? With her being middle aged, I worry about any number of health problems.

With a cat, if they vomit but are 100% normal minutes later, I don't get too concerned, but it's been hours and she's now not normal and keeping her eyes closed, so that concerns me.

She is holding down the water it sounds like?

Customer
no more vomiting

That's good, at least.
Do you get a sense her tummy hurts her?

Has she urinated?

Customer
She hasn't been to vet recently. I don't have a sedative I told the vet but he has seen her and didn't want to prescribe without that
Customer
She did this morning not since this morning
Customer
She is in a crouched position

Right, that is a problem certainly as it's a controlled substance so she'd need to be seen more recently (which is ironic I'm sure).

Did she urinate normally, no straining or issues there? Did she put out a normal amount of urine?

Customer
Then balls up
Customer
She dodnt sttrain this morning but she hasn't peed since

It's a normal sized ball though, not too small?

Has she pooped?
When you say she is crouched, is she standing up?

Customer
She stands up too and I'm not sure if she has pooped
Customer
I want to say she has
Customer
She stands up and walks to water
Customer
But she first crouches before she lays in a balled position

I'm glad she is standing up.

Are you planning on monitoring her?

Is she normally an enthusiastic eater?

Customer
She is she eats pretty well.
Customer
She does have a history of gastritis
Customer
I did change the diet about 2 wks ago
Customer
She also has a history of pre arthritis

Where did she have arthritis? Her hips?

Customer
Hips

I'd think a change 2 weeks ago you'd have seen something sooner. Is there a chance she's eaten a foreign object or something toxic?

Customer
As far as I know no. She normally doesn't eat objects and I have nothing around the house she could reach

No plants, shoelaces, anything like that?

Customer
No we are very careful we have 2 other cats . The place is cat and child proofed
Customer
None

I'm glad to hear that. There may not be anything obvious and yet they can get into stuff. The question is whether it's a one-off and she'll be 100% back to normal tomorrow, or if she has an illness or something more serious.

Customer
Should we wait a day to take her
Customer
Like tmrw morning

Honestly I would caution you the vets may not have timely openings if you call tomorrow, meaning you'd just end up in the emergency anyway. I'd recommend not waiting if at all possible.

Customer
Okay thank u I will take her to emergency vet now

I think that sounds like a good plan. Do you need help locating an emergency near you, or did you have any more questions for me today?

Customer
No i have one thank u so much

You're welcome. I am happy to help. I hope Keana is feeling better soon. I sure wish you both all the best. I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.
Warmly,

Dr. Nicki

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.