Our 14 year old cat had a seizure lasting 1 to 2 minutes. Her limbs and body were shaking uncontrollably. At the start

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our 14 year old cat had a seizure lasting 1 to 2 minutes. Her limbs and body were shaking uncontrollably. At the start her eyes became fixed and she went rigid then the seizure started. This has happened once before som e 10 years ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No other than she has been spayed and has never been ill. She is mainly an indoor cat and only ever goes into our garden which is pet friendly
Answered by VetTechErin in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
VetTechErin
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I have 15 years of experience working both in clinic and with animal poison control where I studied animal poisonings.

I'm happy to help you decide if you need to get your pet into a clinic, or if you're able to manage an issue at home. Sometimes it takes me a bit of time to type out a longer response, please be patient!

I'm so sorry to hear about this episode. I know that seizures can be terrifying to see in your pet. Is you cat on medication for seizure activity in the past?

Customer
No she is not on any medication and has never been ill
Customer
No do not call thank you

Okay. One seizure in a cat with a history of seizures may not be an emergency if it has happened before and been diagnosed.

However, given the time frame between the last seizure and this one, it becomes a bit concerning. Let me type out a few possibilities for you, so you can decide if you want to take her in.

Customer
Thank you that will be fine

My main concern with a cat her age would be the possibility of underlying kidney damage.

Older cats are prone to losing kidney function, and when the waste product starts to build up in their systems, it can cause sudden seizures. If her kidneys are compromised, the vet can sometimes flush out the kidneys with IV fluids and get them started on supportive medications and prescription diets to help slow the advance of the kidney disease as well as help to control any seizure activity.

Sudden seizures can also indicate the exposure to a toxin. Typically we would see continued or repeated seizures in the case of a toxin exposure, but there are some toxins that may cause a one-time seizure while causing other changes to happen in the body.

Given the fact that she is an older kitty, the safest course of action would be to get her in to be seen right now.

You could opt to monitor her at home for further signs of illness and try and push her off until Monday so long as she is eating normally, using her litter box, acting fine, and not having further seizures, but any other atypical behavior would indicate that she needs to be seen more immediately.

Just checking in! Did you have any additional questions or concerns?

Just wanted to follow up with you! Please reach out to me if anything changes, or if you just need to touch base!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
VetTechErin
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
VetTechErin
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.