She has an abscess on her paw. 4 days ago, she has been licking it. Sake- 9 months. Her abscess has ruptured

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: she has an abscess on her paw
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the cat been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: 4 days ago, she has been licking it
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: sake- 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Her abscess has ruptured
Answered by E.Childress,DVM in 3 hours 1 year ago
imglogo
E.Childress,DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello!  I am Dr. Erica, a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer, and I am here to help you!  I would like to let you know that while this is a forum for veterinary advice, I am not legally permitted to make a diagnosis, dispense medications, nor form a doctor-patient relationship through this website.  However, I am here to help guide you and your pet toward a resolution to the best of my ability.

Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.  I may ask a few additional questions to gain understanding and better help you and your pet.  I appreciate your patience.

You may receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call.  This is not directly from me; I am unable to take phone consultations at this time and you do not have to accept the offer for a call.

Is Sake limping or acting like the paw is painful?

Though it is good that the abscess opened and drained on it's own, most wounds of that nature require some additional treatment in order to heal properly.  I would strongly recommend having your cat seen by either your family veterinarian or an emergency vet to have the wound properly examined and treated.  Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications are often necessary for healing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Customer
Thank you for your response! Sake is limping, and her abscess has a very large leaky hole (on the top of her paw) What can we do to avoid further infection until her vet visit? So far we have been running hot water over her paw, and wrapping it in gauze. We have to repeat this process every few hours when she rips it off or it bleeds through. Is this okay or is there something else we can use at home to clean it before she goes in?

It sounds like you are doing the right things so far - when are you able to have her seen by a vet?  Is a visit to an emergency clinic an option for you today, or first thing tomorrow with your family veterinarian?  I would not let this wait too long.

Customer
emergency vet is not an option today, as all the vets in our area are unavailable on the weekend. We will most likely take her into the emergency vet tomorrow (as i don’t think her regular vet will be able to see her soon enough)

Ok great - tomorrow will probably be ok for her!

Just do your best to keep it clean and covered and have her seen as soon as you can in the morning!

Customer
thank you so much for your help! last question- can you tell us what to look out for - in case her infection turns for the worst?

Yes absolutely - the big risk with something like this being untreated is that the infection on the paw could spread to other parts of the body and cause sepsis.  So keep an eye out for any lethargy, vomiting, loss of appetite, trouble breathing, etc.

Customer
Okay, thank you. That is a big relief. She is still eating well and quite energetic! Thanks so much for your time and advice
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
E.Childress,DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
E.Childress,DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.