She sleeping and is really hard to wake her up and when I pick her up she opens her eyes but when I set her back down

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She sleeping and is really hard to wake her up and when I pick her up she opens her eyes but when I set her back down she goes right back to sleep
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: just the last few hours
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: i took her outside for a short walk earlier and no meds
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: ripely and she’s 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing else Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
Hi my cat she's been sleeping the last few hours and she's really difficult to wake up I have to pick her up for her to open her eyes and then when I set her back down she starts to fall back asleep
Customer
I just want to make sure she is ok this hasn't happened before

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Ripely is so sleepy.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Sure ask away
Customer
Please I just paid you guys I just want to know if I need to take her in

-Is there anything Ripely could have eaten that she should not have?

-Has she been eating and drinking normally?

Customer
No I was watching her and she has been eating and drinking normal

-Please do not be offended, but do you have any medications or marijuana in the house?

Customer
I do, but she wouldn't be able to get into it

-Do her pupils seem to be a normal size?

Customer
Hi

-They don't seem big?

Customer
No

-Can you get her up and walking? May throw a toy or tempt her with some food to see if she is walking normally?

Customer
I have done that doesn't seem to interest her too much she just started waking up now and moving around a little more

-Things that could make a kitten of her age so sleepy include:

-Low blood sugar. This is common when kittens are not eating well, have vomiting or diarrhea. It is not common when they are otherwise healthy.

-Ingesting medications or drugs. Although you do not think she could have gotten into your marijuana, I have tested patients positive for marijuana many times when they have signs of being very sleepy and wobbly when the owners were certain they could not access the marijuana.

-She could be starting to get sick. If she has been outside, she may have picked up an upper respiratory infection.

-Fever can also make kittens feel very sleepy.

-I would recommend that you continue to watch her closely. As long as she is eating and drinking well tonight and you can rouse her and get her awake, I think it is safe to monitor her.

-If she is not able to be woken, is vomiting, not eating, has diarrhea, seems very warm or is not more responsive by morning, she should be evaluated by a veterinarian.

Do you have any question?

I hope the information was helpful and Ripley will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

-I hope Ripley is feeling better today. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.