I had 2 stray tom cats come to my farm. One is about 3 and the other maybe a year old. They get along but the older one

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I had 2 stray tom cats come to my farm. One is about 3 and the other maybe a year old. They get along but the older one sometimes jumps on the younger like he is mating. I just had the younger one neutered but I am waiting a bit on the other because the older one has FIV and when he came he was sickly and I have just now got him healthy (I am afraid the stress would throw him into a relapse this early after he recovered because he hates being contained). My question is will the older cat react more positively or negatively to the cat that is spayed or will nothing change. I thought maybe he would be less aggressive toward it but someone just told me he may start to bully it. Like I said normally they really like each other so I hope that doesn't change when I bring him home and he is neutered.
Answered by Dr. Andrew, DVM in 19 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** a licensed vet with Just Answer. Thank you for taking care of these 2 stray cats! It is very unlikely you will see much change, if at all, after neutering the younger cat. Are they still outside cats or do they live in the house now?

Customer
They live outside. I have already taken in 4 strays over the last few years and that is my limit...lol. And, with the one having FIV I wouldn't want to risk that. I have had the young one that is neutering in a garage for a few weeks because he got ran over and had to have a cast...I had him neutered at the same time. I am nervous about reuniting them. I don't want the older one to attack him. Also, when he jumps on him occassionally like he is mating he bites his neck, there is never a mark...would this bite be strong enough to spread the FIV?
If it’s possible to allow a gradual reintroduction I think that would be helpful. Somehow create the outdoor version of leaving one cat in the bathroom so the others can smell him and get re-acquainted.The biting the neck probably isn’t enough to transfer FIV but hard to know for sure.I would recommend neutering the FIV cat, he’s most likely to spread it to other cats while he is intact since he will be territorial and start fights. There is some increased risk with anesthesia and surgery but honestly we do it all the time, he should be fine if he is otherwise healthy.

I hope you were succesful in re-introducing your cats. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Andrew, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.