My 100lb dog just had surgery, and my 12lb cat ate 100mg of his Carprofen. There’s not an emergency vet within a couple

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 100lb dog just had surgery, and my 12lb cat ate 100mg of his Carprofen. There’s not an emergency vet within a couple of hours of us. Is there anything we can give him to try to make him comfortable?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has he thrown up since eating the?
Customer: No. We tried peroxide, but nothing happened.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Furry Dennis, 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We understand the prognosis isn’t good, we just don’t want him to suffer.
Answered by Rhett Burch in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry Furry Dennis is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me 10 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

Give 5mg of human over-the-counter Famotidine (Pepcid AC) from human drug stores that may prevent an upset stomach. If your pet starts vomiting or not eating within 12 hours let me know or see a vet. Do you have any questions about what I said?

Also, give activated charcoal if you can find it. Activated charcoal binds the chemical to prevent absorption into the bloodstream. Call your local pet store and ask if they have any activated charcoal products for intoxication. I recommend Toxiban with sorbitol. If there is a Walmart locally, they may have it. Call and ask. Give the labeled dose. If you can't find any products for pets, give activated charcoal tablets for humans. Give 1/4 dose as a human adult.

Here is a video showing how you can give a pill to your cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ClxUczvr4

It’s not safe to make cats vomit with hydrogen peroxide.

Customer
Thank you, I'll run to the pharmacy right now.

You are very welcome. I wish I could do more. Let me know if you need more help. You can still chat with me later. I hope your pet recovers soon! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer
One more quick question, is the activated charcoal the kind found on the supplement aisle?
Customer
Thank you!

Thanks again. Let me know if you think of any more questions or need more help with your pet’s case.

Customer
Thank you. I read that it can take up to two weeks for the effects to appear, but so far he's back to his regular kitty self.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.