My cat is not moving very much & then only slowly. she hasn't eaten since yesterday afternoon. she sits by her water

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my cat is not moving very much & then only slowly. she hasn't eaten since yesterday afternoon. she sits by her water bowl & drinks occasionally. she acts very dull & seems to have trouble turning her head or moving. she is a longhair domestic tabby & weighs about 7 lbs. my name is*****: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: yes. very much so. she sits hunched up & doesn't move. as for the eating she is picky but this unusual.
JA: How old is Carrell?
Customer: I'm Carrell & i am 79 but the cat Ivan the Terrible is around 10.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think that is all
Answered by Rhett Burch in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry Carrell is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me 10 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

Any wounds or sores you see? How does your pet’s breathing sound? What color are the gums and tongue?

What have you tried so far? Is your pet taking any medications? How long has this been going on? Does your pet have any preexisting medical conditions?

Customer
no noticeable wounds or sores breathing slow and shallow. gums & tongue look normal.

Carrell’s symptoms can mean several things. Take your cat to the vet today if you can. If you can’t go to the vet, try to get your cat to eat with tuna or favorite treat. Give 2.5-5 mg of Pepcid once a day in case your cat has an upset stomach. Here is a video showing how you can give a pill to your cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxjeAMuTEI&t=13s

Also, you can try feeding your cat some Nutri Cal for nutritional support. Or you can make gruel by soaking the cat food with warm water for 5 minutes then spoon-feeding your cat. Watch this video on some tips on how to force feed your cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ClxUczvr4

Or you can feed your cat chicken flavored baby food until your cat will eat regular cat food.

You can try feeding a better tasting food such as Royal Canin or adding warm chicken broth and letting soak to your cat’s regular food. Try giving your cat half a cup of Pedialyte/Gatorade/Chicken Broth by mouth with a bulb syringe. Give it once every 8 hours if the inside of your cat’s mouth feels dry and sticky or your cat is not drinking. That usually means dehydration. Finally, you can try homeopathic things like CBD oil from your pet store. CBD may help with stress or pain too.  If there is no improvement tomorrow morning, let me know or go to a vet. Do you have any questions about what I said?

Customer
No

Let me know if you need more help. You can still chat with me later. I hope your pet recovers soon! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer
rhett burch
Customer
Dr. Bruch
Customer
my cat has not peed in 16 hrs. trying to get her in a hospital has been impossible. to make an appointment I have to wait till Nov. emergencies would not take her .
Customer
One told me to call back later & that is would cost $500.00 to start. I had a ride this morning but tonight I don't.
Customer
Carrell

Hey sorry I missed you. HOw is your cat Ivan doing now?

Customer
my cat is now dead from severe kidney disease.

I am sad to hear that. Losing a pet is never easy. You need time to mourn your loss. Eventually, you will reach a state of peace and acceptance about it. I'm sure you did everything you could. Please let me know if there is anything I can do, I am sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am sorry for your loss.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.