My cat I think it’s front pads and he has been licking it quite a bit and it keeps getting dirty in the litter and it’s

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat I think burnt it’s front pads and he has been licking it quite a bit and it keeps getting dirty in the litter and it’s bleeding a little
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the bleeding start?
Customer: just now when I was trying to wipe the litter off of it
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Murdoc
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i don’t think so
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Murdoc hurt his paws.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

Customer
Thank you! What questions do you have

-You're welcome.

-How did Murdoc burn his paws?

-When did this happen?

Customer
I noticed the area a couple of days ago, but only noticed it was a burn today. I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but it because worse looking today
Customer
I think He might've gotten on the stove after I cooked something, I don't know how else he would have

Are you able to send a picture of the wounds?

Customer
I'm not even sure it's a burn, I don't know what it is
Customer
Customer attachment 10/18/2021 3:31:21 AM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/18/2021 3:31:26 AM
Customer
I tried cleaning his paw with a rag when I first saw it, but he wouldn't let me do it for too long

-That does look very irritated. Is he licking at the paws?

Customer
Hi

-I would recommend that you clean the paws with dilute chlorhexidine or betadine solution. Do not use hydrogen peroxide because it will cause pain.

-You will want to put a "cone of shame" on to prevent him from licking at the paws and causing further irritation.

-You can apply a topical antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, twice daily. Make sure that ointment does not contain topical pain reliever as this can be toxic to cats.

-Replace the litter with shredded paper or a product called yesterday's news to prevent litter from caking in the paws.

-If the wounds are not improving in 2-3 days, seem to be getting larger, have foul-smelling discharge, are more painful or the paws become swollen, he should be evaluated by a veterinarian.

-Please DO NOT give any over-the-counter pain medications because they are toxic to cats.

Customer
Okay thank you!

You're welcome. Do you have any other questions?

Customer
Not that I can think of

I hope this information was helpful and Murdoc is feeling better very soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Murdoc's feet are feeling a bit better today. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.