My kitten has a swollen cheek, I have recently taken her to the vet for an eye infection on the other eye and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My kitten has a swollen cheek, I have recently taken her to the vet for an eye infection on the other eye and respiratory infection. She was doing great but now we have the swelling on the opposite side. She got an antibiotic shot and terramycin for her infected eye. I am now putting it on both eyes.. My vet isn't open until Monday and want to know if its serious enough that I need to take her somewhere sooner.....shes acting fine just looks bad.
JA: The Expert will know how to best address the respiratory infection. What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Lilly
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope that's it
Answered by DrNickiDVM in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** an emergency veterinarian. I'm here to help you with Lilly. I'm so sorry she has a swollen cheek. Is it related to the eye or you think the skin itself is swollen? I'm glad she's acting well. Is she itchy or painful? You must be so worried. Please be aware I am a licensed veterinarian, but I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you and advise you to seek medical attention.
Customer
it looks like its just the skin. She doesn't like me to touch it. Its her left eye.. And her eye is watery. The right eye had an ulcer and looks to be getting better with the topical. She received a antibiotic shot for her respiratory infection on Thursday. But this popped up this morning. I can hear that shes struggling to breath from that nostril now. I just want to make sure its nothing to be super concerned about. The only vet open near me this weekend is the emergency vet which is expensive but ill take her if I need too.
Customer
The right cheek not eye im sorry. But her eye is watery as well from the swelling.
The cheek is swollen, separate and apart from the eye? Is there a wound on the cheek?
Customer
No wound that I can see

That's good. Is trauma possible? Is she itchy and could have injured herself? Does the swelling feel hard or soft, or fluid filled?

Customer
Definitely fluid filled. When I push on it water oozes out from the bottom of her eye. Its clear. Shes not itchy at all. The only thing I could think of is if my older cat hurt her. I've been keeping her seperate until she gets bigger because she's tiny and he plays rough. But my daughter let her out last night while I was sleeping. But again I checked and I saw no scratches or anything. Its just swollen
Oh no, I'm sorry. This sounds like it's probably very painful. Is this bigger than the size of her eye? You don't think it's pus in there? I would worry about that if you have another cat.
Sometimes a bite wound can go from the eye into some other tissue so that the spaces are connected as you're describing.
Customer
Its not super swollen but just enough to notice. I was concerned it may be pus but when i push on it the only thing that comes out is clear. I tried to get a picture but she wont sit still long enough. Is this something that needs immediate attention you think or can I wait until Monday morning when my vet opens? I've been wiping her eye and putting the terramycin on both eyes now.
Wounds that are infected can take a few days to show up as pus and early on do show a clear fluid, sometimes sticky. I would think if there's a wound that was continuous with the inside of my eye, it would hurt quite a bit and I would not delay getting her seen. Is the other cat up to date on her rabies vaccine?
Customer
he is.
I'm glad to hear that in case they did get into a brawl.
Customer
I appreciate your time.
You're welcome. Do you need help locating an emergency vet or will you be contacting your vet on Monday?
Customer
No I have one not far from my house i can take her to in the morning. Thank you!
I'm glad to hear that. Did you have any more questions for me this evening?

Just checking in as I did not hear back. I hope you are able to get a diagnosis and that Lilly is doing better with treatment. I sure wish you both all the best and I am available if you have follow-up questions so do not hesitate. Thanks for using our service.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrNickiDVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrNickiDVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.