Sadie is a 8 year old spade female tuxedo cat. she has lived indoors all her life. she has a history of cat hip

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Sadie is a 8 year old spade female tuxedo cat. she has lived indoors all her life. she has a history of cat hip displacement. for the past week she has been limping on her left hind leg. she doesn't like it when i touch it. she is still eating and playing, but tries out quickly. she did have lose stool a couple of days last week. I thinks she may be a little uncomfortable with that hind leg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Nope, nothing unusual
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sadie is 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she was on glucosamine for a while for the hip, and tamanol for pain (i don't wish to give that to her again)
Answered by Dr4Cats in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr4Cats
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I am credentialed as a cat specialist, but I do all animals. Dogs, cats, horses, and farm animals. I have over 30 years clinical experience with a degree in animal nutrition also. I will try to help with your concerns on here. The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. Just ignore the offer or decline. I cannot do phone calls. Please understand that this is a consulting site only. Without a proper physical examination we cannot by law issue a prescription for medication or make a definitive diagnosis for your pet. Based on the information that you provide we can evaluate your situation and advise you on home care and treatment, or determine if it would be best to see your local veterinarian.

Thank you for the information that you have provided. Please give me just a minute to review what you have provided already. I may have more questions. I will be answering multiple customers so please be patient between replies.

Did Sadie actually have a new hip inserted or she had the ball of the hip removed and now has a “false joint”?

Customer
No, she has a hereditary hip issue, like a dog would have
Customer
she has never had surgery. she's been walking fine up until last week. she is just limping a lot more on the hind left leg

Sadie may have strained or sprained the area aggravating and causing pain. Keeping her things close, food, water, box so that she does not have to climb and jump will allow the hip to return to a non painful state. Rest is going to do more to reduce inflammation in the joint. There are also anti-inflammatory medications now called meloxicam that act like ibuprofen in people.

Customer
can i get meloxicam over the counter?

It is prescription and must be gotten from your veterinarian. You should not use ibuprofen in cats.

If you confine to rest for 2-3 weeks she may return to normal without medication. You can also use one baby aspirin (81mg) ONCE EVERY 3RD DAY. So twice weekly only for 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps, we try to answer your questions and concerns as best we can on this site without the benefit of a proper physical examination. Please appreciate that it is always advisable to seek local veterinary care if possible. Let me know if there is anything further I can help you with. Thanks so much, and kind regards!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr4Cats
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr4Cats
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.