My 11 yo male has had diabetes for approx 3 years. Noticed recently that he lost a fang (top right) which was known by

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 11 yo male has had diabetes for approx 3 years. Noticed recently that he lost a fang (top right) which was known by my vet to be loose. Now I notice crusted blood in each nostril that I clean out. Is this something to do with diabetes or something else more serious?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the cat bleeding?
Customer: I don't see any blood. Just has dried blood in 1 or both nostrils.
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Logan and he is 11 years old on June 6th.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Hi lip just in front of where the fang has been lost looks like it has been irritated. Doesn't seem to bother him. He eats well and seems happy and content.
Answered by Courtney Burke in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Courtney Burke
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

I'm Dr. Burke and I will try and help.

Give me just a few minutes to read over your responses and to formulate a response.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for your patience.

I'm sorry to hear that you having some health concerns with Logan.

As far as the bleeding from the nose goes... We can see this for a few reasons. He could have an infection from the tooth that has extended into his sinuses which can lead to some blood. We can also see cancer of the nasal passages which can lead to blood.

The only way to know for sure is to get a CT of the head and see what is going on in there. Short of that... I would wait it out and see if the blood stops on it's own which would lead us to believe that it was from the tooth and it healed on it's own.

If you would like to pursue a CT scan, you will need to reach out to your vet to see where they can send you to get one. These tests are not readily available to every vet's office.

Sounds like he is otherwise doing well, which is fantastic.

What else can I answer for you?

Customer
No that is great information. I think he will be ok. Just started to think about the blood and his diabetes. I am a medical technologist so I understand quite a bit about laboratory testing and symptoms, but not so much about the whole picture when you think about the lost tooth. Thanks again!

Your very Welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any additional questions.

Customer
Reviewed thanks
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Courtney Burke
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Courtney Burke
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.