My mother has a cat that 2 days started having discharge from his anal area. He is very itchy. He is constantly licking

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello My mother has a cat that 2 days started having white discharge from his anal area. He is very itchy
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the cat been licking or rubbing the itchiness?
Customer: Yes he is constantly licking himself
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The cat had used the litter box not to urinate but the other and he had some left over residue and it must have burned him. Thank I had to clean up and afterwards he started having the white discharge Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Courtney Burke in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Courtney Burke
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

I'm Dr. Burke and I will try and help.

Give me a few minutes to read over your responses and to formulate a response.

Thank you.

Customer
Hello Doctor Burke

Thank you for your patience.

Is the white discharge coming from the center of his anus, or at the 4 and 8 positions of his anus? Has he had a BM, or just straining to go with no production of stool?

Customer
The discharge is coming from his right side of his anus. I've been cleaning him for the last 2 days and it's been improving where at this hour I dont see any but he is extremely itchy. Almost like an infection. He keeps licking himself. He goes and uses the litter box perfectly fine with no straining or issue.

Thats good. Are there any wounds back there?

Customer
2 days ago he had some stool attached to his bottom. My mother had not noticed it, but I noticed he was trying to reach that area in a desperate way so when I picked him up I noticed he stool attached to him.
Customer
I quickly cleaned him up
Customer
The stool might have burned. It seems like he had it there for a while maybe an hour
Customer
He has no wounds.

Thats good. Some possibilities are anal gland issues which can be common, or sloughing of some of the skin back there. Given that it seems to be getting better on it's own I would probably just keep an eye on it and see if it worsens.

Customer
I did read about the gland issue, but what about the fact that he is extremely itchy? He needs some kind of antibiotic cream to help him with that issue.
Customer
To given him some relief.

You can put neosporin back there. but you will need to put an e-collar on him to he doesn't lick it off. Watch his urination very closely... sometimes cats that are having issues urinating or have a UTI will act this way... licking excessively.

Customer
Okay Doctor I'll do as you ask. Thank you very much for your time and your help.

If this behavior doesn't stop on it's own then he will need to be seen in person. Without an in person exam it will be impossible for me to determine exactly what is going on here.

I certainly hope that he feels better, and please reach out with any other questions.

Customer
Thank you Doctor Burke. Take good care.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Courtney Burke
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Courtney Burke
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.