My ragdoll is throwing up yellow liquid. Cat. 3 days. Not sure. Respect, 3 month old

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my ragdoll is throwing up yellow liquid
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: How long has it been since the cat threw up?
Customer: 3 days
JA: Could the cat have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: not sure
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: respect, 3 month old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Dr. Dan M. in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Dan M.
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

My name is***** I am a UK based veterinary surgeon with a Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Practice (Small Animal Medicine).  I am delighted to be able to help you in your time of need.  I know how worrying it can be when your pet is unwell, I have a 4-year-old Bracco Italiano and a moggy cat called Milo and I adore both of them!

I am sorry Respect is unwell

Vomiting (with or without diarrhoea) is a very common problem in cats and dogs and there are many things that can cause it, the majority of causes are simple, short lived and minor.  The initial priority is to ensure that any cat or dog that has sickness is not critically unwell and therefore in need of urgent veterinary attention, this would comprise of patient support (dehydration is a common outcome following profuse vomiting especially if associated with anorexia/lack of drinking) and investigations to find the possible cause.

So, if Respect is quiet, lethargic, collapsed, breathing quickly or unresponsive then it would be best to try to seek urgent veterinary attention.  Also, it is important to check a couple of things to make sure your pet is not dehydrated or in circulatory shock.

You can assess how dehydrated an animal is in a very crude way.  This is done by gently grabbing a fold of skin at the scruff of the neck and lifting it a few centimetres and letting go, it should drop back to the body instantly, if it is slow or appears ‘sticky’ then this can indicate dehydration.  This is not 100% accurate but it can help (older animals have less elastic skin that doesn’t move as quickly regardless of hydration status).  It is also useful to look at the mucous membrane colour, the mucous membranes are located at several sites of the body, the easiest one to access are the gums.  So if you lift up a lip and look at the gums above the top row of teeth, they should be shiny and a pale pink (salmon pink).  If they are purple/red or white then this can indicate serious disease and prompt veterinary attention sought.

If  Respect is bright alert and responsive and not obviously dehydrated or appearing unwell, then I can advise and support you through some initial home management, assuming a mild, short lived upset.  However, you must seek help and support from your vet if you are worried at any point.

There are many different things that can cause vomiting, what is initially important to decide is whether it is a surgical cause (obstruction, foreign body) or a medical cause.   So, we can never fully rule out a surgical cause without a physical exam, but with no known history of a foreign object being eaten and a well, happy animal, we assume initially it isn’t surgical.

Having lessened the likelihood of a surgical issue, we will assume a medical cause and these can be split into gastrointestinal or non-gastrointestinal causes i.e disease affecting the oesophagus, stomach and intestines or diseases affecting other internal organs or hormonal disease.  Usually, non-gastrointestinal causes tend to make animals unwell or they have been vomiting for a while.  The sudden onset of vomiting in a bright and happy animal is likely to be gastrointestinal in nature.

Once again, there are a few things that can cause this; the list includes things like acute/chronic gastritis (inflamed stomach), inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, reflux/hyperacidity.

So, if Respect is alert and happy and mobile, I think to begin with I would recommend treating as though they had acute gastritis/reflux.  So we can do the following.....

Temporarily replace the normal food fed with a bland food comprising of a protein source (chicken, turkey, low fat cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, white fish) with a carbohydrate (rice, pasta, mashed potato, sweet potato, pumpkin)  Try feeding a food that hasn’t been fed before.

Day 1:  Feed a total of about 50% the normal volume of food fed, split into 5-6 meals through the day and evening

Day 2: Feed 75% the normal volume of food, split into 3-4 meals through the day.

Day 3: Feed 100% the normal amount of food (but the bland temporary food stuff) in 2-3 meals through the day.

You can try warming the food or adding a little chicken broth/stock to it to make it more appealing, this is particularly useful in animals where their appetite may be reduced.

Now if there is no vomiting and recovery is thought to have occurred then mix the normal food in with the bland food over 2-3 days to allow the gastrointestinal tract to adjust back to the normal diet.

Provide free access to water, if water is being drunk quickly, or in large volumes posing the risk of vomiting/regurgitation then feed the water in a shallow saucer/bowl to help avoid this.

Lets also look to get this stomach wall settled from inflammation and also at the same time address any reflux.

This can be done using famotidine (Pepcid) 0.5mg/Ib bodyweight twice a day, you could use instead Pepto bismol 0.5ml/Ib body weight twice a day.

If it is a simple gastritis then this plan should work.

BUT if Respect is getting worse, relapse or new signs develop (anorexia, collapse, lethargy, diarrhoea) then best to get a check over.

Good luck and take care

Dr Dan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Dan M.
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Dan M.
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.