He keeps getting UTI’s. The last one he had was on 2/5. He got the acting antibiotic shot and perked up after a few

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He keeps getting UTI’s. The last one he had was on 2/5. He got the long acting antibiotic shot and perked up after a few days. He tries to urinate in everything. He does vomit too. This morning he was straining to go to the batroo
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Food is in the vomit and the urine is very strong smelling
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: He is straining to go to the bathroom
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: bingo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Bingo?
Customer: just that he just was treated for a UTI on 2/5. That time he has blood in his urine. This time I think I caught it early, it started today
Answered by DeanaS124 in 9 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DeanaS124
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, my name is*****'m an Emergency Veterinarian and I'm hoping to be of assistance to you and Bingo today. I'm very concern to hear that Bingo is straining to urinate today and vomiting. These can be signs of life threatening urinary obstruction which may be due to more than just a urinary tract infection (can happen due to stones or crystals in the urine as well as inflammation). It is highly recommended that Bingo be reevaluated by a veterinarian to ensure he is not obstructed as this will require emergency procedures and possibly hospitalization.

In the long run, management with prescription urinary diets and environmental changes that reduce stress and promote water intake may help to prevent recurrent episodes in the future.

Customer
This is our second episode. I've changed his diet and his litter. He just had one 3 weeks ago. He also is a difficult cat to treat medically, he acts feral in the vets office. If he has stones or crystals would the last antibiotic shot do anything? What are the treatments for crystals or stones?

The antibiotics are helpful with any infectious component of the signs however will not treat all types of stones or crystals and unfortunately we have found that some cats have signs of obstruction due purely to inflammation that can be sparked by environmental stress - a condition known as Feline Interstitial Cystitis (FIC or FLUTD). Did they run any tests on his urine by any chance? If not, this would be helpful in identifying if he currently has an infection and/or evaluate for evidence of certain types of crystals. Crystals are generally managed with strict prescription urinary diets that alter the pH of the urine and encourage increased water intake. If he truly is having recurrent urinary tract infections, metabolic conditions such as diabetes should also be investigated.

All this being said, if he is unable to urinate or straining excessively then physical un-obstruction is necessary as obstruction can lead to life threatening electrolyte imbalance, arrhythmias, and acute death.

Customer
Ok thank you. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I'll see if I can get a ironed sample tonight. He just acts like a feral cat when we are at the vet making it very difficult for the vet to treat him.

I see, some cats can definitely be difficult at the vet! Best of luck to you both, please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with!

Customer
Thank you

Your'e very welcome!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DeanaS124
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DeanaS124
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.