Bleeding paw. Cat. Unsure and light bleeding. Mittens 2 years

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Bleeding paw
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: How badly is the cat bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: Unsure and light bleeding
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: mittens 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mittens?
Customer: no
Answered by DeanaS124 in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DeanaS124
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, My name is*****'m an Emergency Veterinarian and I'm hoping to be of help to you and Mittens today. Poor Mittens! Do you know how Mittens' paw was injured? Is Mittens an indoor only, outdoor only, or indoor-outdoor cat and is he/she able to bear weight on the paw? If possible, a picture of the wound would be helpful.

Customer
File attached (24LMTSZ)
Customer
He is an indoor only cat and can put pressure on it when walking but will lift his paw when sitting

Ow poor guy! Looks like he may have stepped on something sharp or got it caught in something possible a few days ago since this looks like an older wound. I would recommend keeping the wound clean and dry by utilizing a cone collar that you may be able to pick up at your local pet store. You can attempt to place an antibiotic ointment over the wound 1-2 times daily (this will get a little messy as he'll probably get it on your floor and furniture but if it stays on even for a short time it will help). Keep an eye on it over the next week, if it gets more swollen, continues to bleed, or has any other type of discharge then a visit to the vet for systemic antibiotics will be needed. If it remains there for a while (>2-3 weeks) they may need to do more extensive testing such as X-rays to make sure there's nothing stuck in there.

Customer
Thank you!

No problem! Best of luck to you and Mittens!

Customer
What antibiotic ointment would be best/ safe?

something like over the counter Neosporin would be fine.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DeanaS124
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DeanaS124
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.