Blood in urine of my cat. Usually UTI drops work. She normally drinks from a mug in my bathroom sink but it's under

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Blood in urine of my cat. Usually UTI drops work. She normally drinks from a mug in my bathroom sink but it's under construction so I thinks she's drinking less than normal
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the cat's urine? Has there been an unusual smell too?
Customer: In a full week she is peed in the same spot 3 times. Today distinctively bloodish
JA: Does she seem more tired than usual?
Customer: That's hard to tell. I wonder if she's very stressed because she's always my most skittish cat
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Willow. About 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Acting like she's going to throw up but not.
Answered by Rhett Burch in 5 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry your pet is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. Please know that online veterinarians such as myself cannot prescribe medications, but I am more than happy to give my opinion and medical advice regarding your pet's case. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me a few minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

Any other symptoms? Any wounds or sores you see? How does your pet’s breathing sound? What color are the gums and tongue?

Customer
Yesterday I did notice her snoring and for belly gurgling a little bit

Have you tried any medications yet? Is Willow still eating?

Customer
That's a great question about the beating I'll have to pay attention or 3 cats. Not sure.
Customer
I have been giving her homeopaths feline UTI drops which usually help

Does she seem stressed?

Customer
Is a very skittish little cat always has been If you roll in the bed she jumps off and then comes right back
Customer
My bathroom has been under construction for a couple weeks and she's used to having a mug of water in the sink that I always fill up for her when I go to the bathroom and she hasn't had access to that even though I put one in another bathroom

I am sorry to hear that. Your cat is probably suffering from idiopathic cystitis or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder. FLUTD is the most common cause of urinary issues in cats. UTI are pretty rare in cats actually. However, I cannot say for sure without an exam and tests. Stress plays a big role in this complex disorder. Most of the time, vets will give your cat an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory injection. Take your cat to the vet today if you can. If not, decrease your cat's stress and increase their water consumption. There are several ways to do this.

1. Make sure you have 1 litter box and 1 water bowl for each cat in the house plus 1. So a house with 2 cats should have 3 of each. Cats will fight over litter boxes and one of them will start using the bathroom elsewhere.

2. Litter boxes and water bowls should be in quiet, peaceful rooms in the home.

3. Litter boxes should be in open spaces. Cats don’t like being cornered.

4. Make sure you clean the litter box often. Cats do not like dirty litter boxes!

5. Take time to pet your cat often if it is receptive. This lowers their stress.

6. Try Feliway pheromone dispenser. It can be bought at most pet stores and helps calm some cats

7. Install a kitty condo/cat tree in your house to give your cat a place to play and hide.

8. Encourage more water consumption by feeding wet food or soaking dry food. Or feed a urinary food like this.

9. Try getting a fountain bowl for your cat.

10. Experiment with different toys to find what your pet likes. Exercise can help calm your pet.

11. You could try over the counter urinary medicine for cats but they usually don’t work.

12. Try some calming treats for cats.

13. Try switching your cat to a urinary food such as this one.

14. If all else fails, call your vet about trying some anti-anxiety meds.

If those things don’t work, go to the vet. If your cat keeps squatting to pee but can't it is a medical emergency. In that case, take the cat to your vet ASAP. Unfortunately, online veterinarians such as myself cannot prescribe medications. For nausea, you can try 5mg of either Pepcid or Prilosec once a day. Any questions?

Customer
Ok. Thank u

You are very welcome. I wish I could do more. Let me know if you need more help. You can still chat with me later. I hope your pet recovers soon! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.