Our cat is about 8 months old and we have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He’s always been an indoor cat but we did

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our cat is about 8 months old and we have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He’s always been an indoor cat but we did treat him with flea and tick since we took in a rescue. Nothing in the house has changed except the rescue. He almost sounds like he’s crying now when shaking and itching his ears. The inside of his ears are red and the outside tips are starting to look like scabs. Unfortunately I was told it would be 3 months to get him into a vet here and we are 50 mile restrictions so we can’t leave to find another vet. I was hoping someone could help.
Answered by Dr. Jessica Pet Vet in 2 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi I'm Dr. Jessica

The most common cause of itchy ears in young cats is ear mites. Ear mites are secondary to fleas. Do you have ear cleaner for Calypso at home? I can talk you through how to clean his ears if you would like me to do so.

Customer
Hi Dr. Jessica,I wasn’t able to find ear solution at our Petco and all I have at home currently was ear solution for a dog. I’m wasn’t sure if that was safe to use.

can you tell me the name of the ear solution that you have?

Are all pets in the home on flea prevention?

To clean the ears, soak a cotton ball in the ear cleaner and place inside the ear as far as you can safely do and then massage the base of the ear. Remove the cotton ball and allow Calypso to shake his head. Then wipe out the excess with a dry cotton ball. Clean the ears every other day for the next week. He will most likely need ear mite medication. If the ears are not improving by Monday, please make an appointment with your veterinarian as he may have an ear infection as well.

If the ear cleaner you have is not safe for cats, then you can use dilute white vinegar 50/50 mixture with warm tap water.

Customer
Zymox ear solution. All animals are on flea prevention now unfortunately I know I’m probably too late now given the state of Calypso.

Here is what I found....

The ZYMOX® LP3 Enzyme System is safe to use on cats. ZYMOX® is formulated without antibiotics, harsh chemicals and is non-toxic. It is ideal for dogs, cats and can be used on furry pets and farm friends of all ages. zymox.com

Customer
Thank you we will start this right away and if he doesn’t improve try to get him into another vet.

Okay! Good luck! Hopefully he will not fight you too much!!

Customer
I hope not too he’s not declawed at all!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessica Pet Vet
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.