I have had this cat, Shadow, since she was a kitten. When she was younger a younger family member pushed her off maybe a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have had this cat, Shadow, since she was a kitten. When she was younger a younger family member pushed her off maybe a 1ft and a half coffee table. She didn't get hurt but ever since that day she has been hostile towards others except for My mom, grandma, and myself. Fast forward to day and we I recently received a Savannah cat, Bruno, who's super friendly and chill. Needless to say Shadow is very Hostile towards Bruno. We've been distancing the two and while one is out the other is in my mom's room. We'll switch off about every hour so both cats can enjoy themselves. I just don't know If I'm doing the right thing
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. Before I do, is there anything else you'd like me to share?
Customer: nah
Answered by Dr4Cats in 13 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Dr4Cats
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

This is Dr. Cynthia. Thank you for contacting us. I will try to help with your concerns.

Customer
Ahh thank you
Customer
no I would not like to call

Thank you for the description of your issue.

Is your question about the cats accepting each other, or about Shadow's hostility in general?

Customer
Kinda both. I'm not too familiar with Cats honestly

Shadow is unlikely to ever accept the other cat.

The Savannah is going to be a lifelong challenge. Not just for Shadow, but for all of you.

And I do know cats.

Customer
What do you think we should do?

If you are going to keep the Savannah, which I would suggest you not, you should provide Shadow a safe place of her own. Any room or area where she tends to spend most of her time. Keep her food, water, and litterbox in that room, and keep the other cat out.

When the cats have access to the common areas do not force interaction. I would imagine Shadow will retreat to her "safe" place.

Customer
Ahh ok thank you

Let me know if you have other questions.

Kind regards....

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr4Cats
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr4Cats
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.