My cat has been constantly purring or meowing all day. more so than normally for sure. also seems to be squatting with

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My cat has been constantly purring or meowing all day. more so than normally for sure. also seems to be squatting with her back legs like there may be some discomfort.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: no she is an indoor cat and is not on any meds
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pumpkin and she is about 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
Answered by Megan Mathias in 17 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
Megan Mathias
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi! MY name is***** and I will do my best to answer your questions about Pumpkin. Have you seen her use the litter box today? Do her stools seem normal or abnormal? Normal size and frequency of urination?

Is she spayed or intact?

Customer
I saw her poop earlier today. Seems normal. And it looks like she has peed. Nothing un normal there. She is intact

Did the behavior just start today? And do you have any other cats in the household?

And does she seem to be more affectionate at all or rubbing her back on things / rolling?

Customer
it seems to have just started today. At first didn't think much about it cause she is a pretty vocal kitten but just seems way more frequent. There is one other cat in the house
Customer
Um she is rubbing up on things and rolling yes
Customer
She is normally a snuggle bug so that is not abnormal for her to be affectionate

Does she act like she is in any pain? Any vomiting? Normal appetite etc? Im almost wondering if perhaps she is experiencing her first heat cycle -- she is at the right age, isn't spayed, and increased vocalizations, clinygness and squatting / rubbing on things are all very common signs of heat in cats

Customer
No she isn't acting like she is in any pain. No vomiting. Normal eating habits. What is a heat cycle?

A heat cycle or estrous is the period of time when a cat is capable of being bred/ getting pregnant. It typically lasts between 7-14 days and you may see a small amount of bleeding as well.

Customer
Is this dangerous to her?

This website has some good information and a video showing some common behaviors

It is normal in unspayed cats-- somewhat similar to a woman having her period (but also some major differences between the two proecsses). I would recommend having her spayed though both to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and also to decrease the risk of mastitis (infections of the mammary glands), pyometra (infection of the uterus) and uterine/ovarian cancer later in life which are all more common in cats that are not spayed

In the meantime, I would just monitor her. If this behavior continues for the next 1-2 weeks and then resolves on its own, then it is most likely that the behavior change was just due to heat. If she ever seems to be in any distress or has any signs such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, frequent small urination or difficulty urinating, I recommend having your vet take a look at her.

Customer
She was supposed to get an appointment set up for getting spayed but that was right before this virus happened so I haven't even thought of it. But I will call her vet tomorrow and see when we can have that happen
Customer
Okay thank you! I will monitor her for sure. But it's nothing I should be freaking out about correct? This is normal? I tend to be a worrying person sometimes

You're welcome! No ma'am! Like I said, if something changes and she seems to be sick or in pain, then that might warrant an exam sooner than the scheduled spay, but it really does just sound like classic heat signs :).

If you don't have any other questions for me and could take a moment to rate me at the top of the page, I'd appreciate it!

Customer
Okay! Thank you so much! I think you are right. And my mind is much better now!
Customer
How do I rate you?
Customer
I got it. Thanks!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Megan Mathias
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Megan Mathias
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.