Early friday evening my son noticed our cat had a 1" by 1 1/2" section on the back of his neck that was bald & had a cut

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Early friday evening my son noticed our cat had a 1" by 1 1/2" section on the back of his neck that was bald & had a cut in the middle also a lump underneath the cut. It was definitely something you couldn't miss & a couple hours prior it wasnt like that.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: Yes theres a little blood and it looks a little swollen
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zeus about 1 1/2yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Boy
Answered by Dr. Bruce in 7 mins 2 years ago
imglogo
15+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with Zeus. Can you post a picture here of what you're seeing? That can help a lot!

Customer
Customer attachment 3/29/2020 4:35:21 AM
Customer
This picture show where it is better

Good job on the pictures there. If Zeus is an indoor / outdoor cat or has other cats he plays with, this could be a cat bite area that has cellulitis and a possible abscess forming at it.

Customer
He is an indoor cat,and we have no other cats.this just appeared out of no where

Any recent vaccines? Been microchipped?

Customer
He has been microchipped

This area where it is at, if he was recently microchipped, could there be an infection at that site. At this time, I would keep that area clean and dry and see what it does. It may be an abscess or area of cellulitis. IT could start to drain and if it does, then an abscess would be most suspect. IF it is that, then it would most likely need to be lanced and drained and oral antibiotics started up.

Customer
He was chipped months ago,maybe 4.last night it was draining both a little bit of blood and a watery fluid

It could be due to that chip there. IT could be a cyst that has ruptured under the skin there. A good plan would be to have your vet clip and clean that area come Monday and then see if it needs a course of antibiotics.

Customer
Thank you well do that. My son rescued zeus. He was skinny ,hungry, cold & filthy my son said he was eating bugs. Now he's healthy, well feed , 2 litterboxes. Its a love story.
Thank you again , i feel so much better now .

Awesome picture there of Zeus. He's such a laid back cat! I hope an answer is found here when your vet sees her and things get back to normal here soon! :)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
15+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.