Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has chronic kidney problems that are being treated by

My cat has chronic kidney problems that are being treated by a change in diet. He hasn't suffered from anymore kidney stones but he has near-constant diarrhea. I looked online for some pet anti-diarrheals and found a few that seem promising but I wanted a quick consultation before I made an appointment to see a vet in person; would products made with kaolin and pectin be safe for my cat given his kidney problems?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is Francis (we call him Frankie) and he's about 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Francis?
Customer: I think that about sums up the situation.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help. I am sorry to hear that Frankie has kidney problems and now has diarrhea.

Products with kaolin and pectin would be safe if given in small amounts, but is not considered an effective treatment for diarrhea. KaoPectate has actually changed its ingredients (originally was kaolin and pectate) for that reason.

You could try probiotics such as Proviable or Fortiflora

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Rebecca, my name is***** heard that Kaolin was taken out of anti-diarrheals for people because the there wasn't any substantial evidence for it helping but I was just wondering. Are there any non-pill/capsule versions of Proviable or Fortiflora? He has trouble with pills some times.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
are there any that you'd recommend that don't require a prescription?

Hi, Jacob.

Fortiflora is a powder, sprinkled on food. Proviable is a paste.

Neither of them requires a prescription.

I don't recommend Pepto Bismal for cats. Let me see if they can take Immodium; one moment.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay, sorry for the mix-up. I guess the pictures just gave me the wrong idea. And okay.

You can try a little Imodium; what does she wiegh?

Sorry, what does he weigh?

If he is an average 11 pound cat, he can take 0.5 mg of Immodium.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He has had some problems with weight loss so I'm not sure about his exact weight. He's starting to fill out a bit now though so my guess is around 10 lbs

Try 0.5 mg of Imodium, it is available over the counter. 1/4th of a 2 mg pill.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okie doke, thank you very much! I'll also look into the probiotics you recommended.

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing, and if you have other questions. Thanks for using our site.

You can always update me, by going to My Questions on the website. Kindly consider rating my answer, which is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great rating.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the great help! I'll try to let you know how he's doing after a bit.

Please do.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?