I have a male cat, about 13 yrs old. He is all black and weighs about 15 lbs. He walks as if he is uncomfortable with

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi! I have a male cat, about 13 yrs old. He is all black and weighs about 15 lbs. He walks as if he is uncomfortable with his hind legs (he was my mom’s before we inherited him, her vet said arthritis, it did come on very suddenly, then he seemed to recover somewhat, but walks gingerly and prefers not to be pet towards his back). Anyway my concern is that he has white flakes of dander (?) toward his back and I am wondering how f I should be concerned about lack of nutrition, or if there is anything I can do. Thank you. Saskia
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: He was an indoor/ outdoor cat when he was with my mom. Her vet said arthritis, I was mever fully convinced. I forgot to mention he eats only canned food.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: We have a 3 yr old cat and he plays well with her, when the mood strikes, he can jump on the couch still, with a lot of forethought on his part before jumping.
Answered by Dr. Thompson in 11 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a dog and cat veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your senior cat has excessive dander and a history of rear leg pain.

Customer
that is correct.

OK... How is your cat's appetite? How is his thirst level?

Customer
He eats about a can to a can and a half a day, I have another, younger cat, but I need to replenish the water bowl daily.

Sounds like a good appetite, then :). So your main concern is the excessive dander on his lower back?

Customer
Wondering if it is a sign of something else that is wrong, my younger one does not have this, or if the back pain and dander are related and if there is something I can do about it or should I not worry about it....

I think it would be a good idea to have a vet exam and probably a blood panel, too. There are a couple common problems older cats get that could be contributing to the dandruff issue (kidney problems, hyperthyroidism...).

I see a lot of older cats that have diminished coat and skin quality at 13 years plus. Adding fish oil to his diet may help after a few months. Most cats will eat this one (Amazon Link) when mixed with canned food. It will improve the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio which has benefits for all inflammation, skin health, kidney health, etc. You might consider upgrading his food, depending on what he's eating now.

For the pain, I usually have people with older cats try Dasuquin sprinkles. It has glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM. Can make a big difference after a month or so. Easy to give, very low risk of side effects.

Customer
Thank you.

You're welcome... I hope things improve a bit for your kitty!

Thank you for submitting your question! It's been a pleasure to work with you. My goal is to fully answer your question. Please don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If you’re finished, I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a 5-star rating. I’m paid a portion of your fee only if you give me a positive rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know if you have more questions. : )

Here's the right fish oil link... I think I sent the wrong one before.

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Thompson
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Thompson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.