This am she pooped and vomited undirected kibbles. Very lethargic all day. Addicted to plastic, and about three years

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: This am she pooped and vomited undirected kibbles. Very lethargic all day. Addicted to plastic, and about three years ago, had to have small intestine surgery for obstruction after eating a toy mouse that had a plastic head inside. Finally got up and tried to eat supper. I put the canned food on one side of the dish and cat food flavored water on the other side. She was unable to eat the cat food, but had to sips of flavored water and stopped. I listed to her belly and she has bowel sounds that didn’t sound slow to me. Since I have never listed to her before, I can’t really judge if they were hyper. I am a retired nurse. I’m going back and forth about going to emergency clinic. She is completely with it, just sick.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP.
Customer: In first sentence it’s indigested not undirected!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No she’s usually very fit.
Answered by Dr. Thompson in 8 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Cat Veterinary, Cat Medicine, Cat Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson. I’ve been a dog and cat veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand your cat vomited this morning and did not want to eat dinner.

How old is she?

Customer
There is one more thing, the night before last, she got out and didn’t come home until yesterday morning. She was fine until this am when she pooped and vomited-one right after the other.
Customer
5 yrs
Customer
she has a history of small bowel surgery as above

OK, so she had some adventures of an unknown nature recently :). At 5 years old, I would be worried about toxin ingestion while she was out. GI obstruction is always possible, especially with her history.

If she was in front of me, I'd palpate her abdomen and see if there is any indication of pain or abnormal hard masses that might be an obstruction. I also look under the tongue to see if a string is trapped around the base of the tongue.

If she's not in distress, you could wait 24 hours and see if the GI upset passes. My clients often use Pepcid/famotidine 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet by mouth twice a day for an average 10 lb. cat when they have an upset stomach.

Customer
Thank you for your very sensible answer. I was afraid you might just have said go to the er just to cover yourself. ��

Well, it's never wrong to go to the ER, but a cat who has vomited once and missed a meal may just be a simple upset stomach. In the absence of other symptoms, it is reasonable to watch and wait with symptomatic treatment. :)

Thank you for submitting your question! It's been a pleasure to work with you. My goal is to fully answer your question. Please don’t hesitate to ask follow-up questions if you have any. If you’re finished, I’d really appreciate if you’d give me a 5-star rating. I’m paid a portion of your fee only if you give me a positive rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know if you have more questions. : )

By the way, if the symptoms continue for more than 24 hours, she should be seen by a vet! Bet you knew I'd say that ;)

Customer
No string; No pain. Maybe a little sensitive upper right. I will take your advice. Thanks��

Cats are bad about getting pancreatitis-- that's upper right quadrant. No specific treatment for mild pancreatitis, though. Pepcid/famotidine can help.

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Thompson
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Thompson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Thompson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.