Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat vomited about 6 times today--all cat food--hes acting

Customer Question

My cat vomited about 6 times today--all cat food--hes acting normal otherwise and has an appetite-- i was going to buy him cat food he used to eat before the past couple months to see if maybe this food is not agreeing with him--hes had it before with no problem and my other cats seem ok with it--should i try feeding him the food he used to eat
JA: OK. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Jerry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerry?
Customer: hes about 10 yrs old and he is a large cat and very fresh--indoor only
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.
He may have eaten something he found outside, have something in his mouth, have a sore throat, be nauseated or the food may have turned bad.

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into his gums to raise his blood sugar. This will also sooth his throat.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours. wait 30 minutes and offer soft food.

you can also use ginger, an eighth of a tsp for nausea

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.Canned food prevents hairballs

If you do not have this in the house, boil chicken or hamburger. Puree in blender with a little warm water

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

check out foods at chewy.com. they deliver free and will refund money for food he does not like or will not eat.

cats get bored easily so vary flavors and textures daily

Please let me know how he is doing .

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri