Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had diarrhea last week my mobile vet saw her

Customer Question
My cat had diarrhea...

My cat had diarrhea last week my mobile vet saw her metronidazole and took a stool sample which was normal....she is eating and acting fine but has not used her box to poop....her butt was extremely irrated so ive been putting hydrocoritsone or vasoline on her the thing is its been 5 days or more since ive seen her use her box

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Jimmi and shes a girl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jimmi?

She is an outdoor and indoor cat but she has always been using her box on the porch

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/13/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

does she still have diarrhea?

Not that I can tell
Are you saying she is now constipated ?
Have you stopped metronidazole
Only had med once when vet gave it to her and not sure if she is constipated

thanks so much for your very helpful reply. please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

Metroidazole is a sulfa drug. It can cause constipation and dehydration.

Jimmi may be holding back because her butt is so irritated.....poor baby.

The best thing to apply to sooth and heal is raw honey. you can get it in Walmart. Apply several times a day.

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheatedhttp://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html To cure diarrhea get a few jars of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion powder/ Add one tablespoon of boiled white rice to each jar. Feed until her stool firms up. Next, add the rice to a canned food she likes and eats readily.She also needs a probiotic so give one half tsp of plain yogurt daily or culturelle or forti flora.For hydration and to replace her electrolytes give her tuna water drained from the can into a dish.FOR RESTLESSNESS, make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 1 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mgLet her eat small, frequent meals of foods she really likes and enjoys. Experiment with flavors and consistencies, then vary them so she does not get bored. I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.Kind regards,Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty