Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a Himalayan cat about 10 years old. About 3 weeks ago…

I have a Himalayan...

I have a Himalayan cat about 10 years old. About 3 weeks ago she developed a rash around her mouth and chin had tiny black scabs plus one ear was getting crusty. So I changed her water and food bowl from plastic to glass gave her a very small amount of Child allergy medicine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Molly,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?

Yes her appetite decreased today and she isn't drinking enough water. I think she is running a fever no one is open in my town to take her to.

Also I bathed her with dawn because the rash spread to her ears and above her eyes. plus I rubbed the crusty dry places with olive oil or castor oil. She ate and drank well was very active until last night.
I don't have any other supporting documents, How long should I wait for a response?
6/13/2018
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Cat Veterinarian

Hello there! My name is***** am a small animal veterinarian. I would be happy to try and help with your Molly. May I ask you a few questions?

Please, Just to add She is still eating and drinking but not as well also she is staying under the table. I did get her to come out for a little food and brushing, she went to the bathroom and back under. She is a rescue I have had for several years. She was very skittish for sometime and now my grandchildren have moved in. I think the stress is a factor as well.

Is she scratching anywhere on her body? Has she ever had skin issues before? Is she indoor, outdoor or both?

She is indoor only and scratching her ears now. I have been using sentry earmitefree and gently cleaning them with cutips.
No she has never had any issues until now.

Is there any discharge in the ear canals themselves, or is it just on the outside of the ears? Did you see any improvement after changing the bowls or any improvement after the children's allergy medicine? (I'm assuming it was some type of bendryl?)

I didn't see any discharge from the ears but they did turn dark brown and when I clean them a reddish brown substance comes out on the cutip. When I changed everything I thought the rash was improving and hair was comming back, but when a backed off the routine it came back stronger. Only talking 24 hours also I wasputting the bendryl in canned cat food chicken. She has dry most of the time.

Skin issues can be caused by a variety of diseases: bacterial, fungal (ringworm, yes even indoor cats can get ringworm), allergic or neoplastic (cancerous, although this doesn't sound like cancer).

Reddish brown discharge sounds like maybe dried blood, perhaps self-trauma from her scratching them.

If she responded to the allergy medicine and the cleaning, could be an allergic type reaction.

Would you be able to submit a picture?

I can try not very good with the computer

Food allergies in cats can manifest on the head and face. Usually they develop a food allergy after eating the same food for years (not that the food is bad, the animal's immune system just develops a sensitivity).

If she is responding positively to the cleaning and the benadryl, you can continue that routine. Just make sure the benadryl just has the ingredient diphenhydramine listed and no other ingredients, like decongestants (phenylephrine) or pain medication (tylenol, which is VERY toxic to cats).

The dose of benadryl for pets is 1 mg per pound. So, if your Molly weighs 8 pounds, she would receive 8 mg of benadryl. Most children's benadryl is dosed per teaspoon (12.5 mg per teaspoon). A teaspoon is 5 mls, so Molly's dose would be just a little more than 1/2 a teaspoon. If this is confusing , let me know, and I can try to be more specific.

Also, good job switching from plastic to glass bowls as Cats can sometimes develop a sensitivity to plastic. :)

Thank you, ***** ***** not giving her enough benydryl and I did change food. Although she feels to warm to me I only use a damp cloth on her face. she is just seems weak.have picture may i send gmail?

Often times when the skin is inflamed, it can feel warm to the touch, almost like running a fever. Cats' temperatures are naturally higher than ours (100 - 102 degrees), so even without skin disease, they might feel warmer than us.

I'm not sure I can access a gmail account from here. If you have the picture saved to your computer, you should just be able to click on the paperclip icon to add an attachment (the picture).

I hope you got the pictures. Thank you for your help, bless her heart she just feels so bad.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing the pictures. I understand your frustration with computers and technology, they can be very difficult to navigate, I have issues at times with them!

It is hard to see our furry babies not feeling well, I am sorry you are going through this with Molly. But, animal's bodies have an amazing capacity to heal themselves, so sometimes, even with a little effort, they will improve.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for your sweet Molly!

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Cat Veterinarian

Awww, she is beautiful! Unfortunately, I cannot see the ears very well, but I think your description has given me enough information.

It has been a pleasure conversing with you tonight, I wish you and Molly the best of luck! If you have been happy with my assistance, your 5 star rating at this time would be much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to reach out again with further questions or concerns, even after rating me! :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily