Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He was hit by a car, a glancing blow to the side of the

He was hit by...

He was hit by a car, a glancing blow to the side of the face. Very little blood but he is basically unconscious. I thought he was dead, but talking to him and petting him he moved a little. He is laying next to my wife and acts like he is sleeping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Ziggy Stardust, he is 10 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ziggy?

Nothing thats not mentioned above

6/12/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. This sounds like an emergency and not something that you can treat at home. Can you take him to a vet right now? That is what needs to happen.

The regular vets are usually open until 5:00 or later. The emergency clinics are open all night.

You can apply at www.carecredit.com if you need financing. Most vet clinics take care credit.

No I cant, I cannot afford the(###) ###-####my vet will charge me to do all the tests. The last time I took a stray in that was hit it just about killed me financially

Okay, I will opt out and allow other experts to comment.

If he has a head injury what will the vet do that I cant? I'm not being cheeky, I need to know that anything I do for him will be moving forward. Does the vet have a special treatment that decreases swelling? if thats something that happens from this?
If he has a head injury what will the vet do that I cant? I'm not being cheeky, I need to know that anything I do for him will be moving forward. Does the vet have a special treatment that decreases swelling? if that's something that happens from this type of injury?
Been a while now, still waiting.
So is that it? No reply now that I said I could not take the cat into the vet? The whole point of me asking questions was so I could make his slim chance of surviving a little better. I know he most likely wont make it through the night but, boom, just disconnect when I say I cant take him in. There's an answer.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on ZS, please?

To answer you directly, a vet can treat with intravenous mannitol (a non-metabolized sugar which acts as an osmotic agent) in an attempt to reduce brain swelling.

Ziggy is unconscious but responds to talking to him and petting him. Last nigh he was breathing faster than normal. this morning he just looks like he is sleeping.

Thank you for the update. There's still a chance of recovery but he'll need to be hospitalized on IV fluids/feeding as supportive care while we wait to see if he can recover more fully. The time to recovery is unknown at this time but we do want to see progressive improvement over the initial week or recovery to reasonable function isn't likely. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What does something like that cost per day at a vet clinic? I love the little guy but cannot afford a massive bill. Im not trying to be cold hearted,

Regretfully, I can't know what you would be charged and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done. I might ballpark a week's care at $3500-5000.

That's about what I figured. Thank you for your time, I will talk to them. Goodbye

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
ok, thank you

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.