Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat pepper is taking the antibiotic enrofloxacin. It says…

My cat pepper is taking...
My cat pepper is taking the antibiotic enrofloxacin. It says to give it with food. I am waiting to hear from her vet because she is eating and drinking very little and may need to be hospitalized again. She has a UTI and may have pancriatitus (test results today). It is past time for her to take it, and the vet is in surgery. Should I give it to her anyway?
6/12/2018
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

It is absolutely fine for her to have the enrofloxacin even if she is eating very little. It should not cause any problems even if sh has an empty stomach. It can be given with or without food.

I hope you have found this advice helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

It would be very much appreciated if you could click the stars to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and expertise helping here.

Many Thanks and I hope you have a great day.

Richard.

Richard Rawling
Her sugar was high too. Would that make her not want to eat?
Taking her in soon. How soon would insulin make her feel better?

Is she diabetic receiving insulin?

They want to start her today.

Ah, ok. If she has uncontrolled diabetes, that can certainly affect their appetite. It can take a little while to find the right dose of insulin that works for her, but she should start feeling better very quickly after starting insulin as her blood sugar becomes more controlled.

Like in a day, a few hours?
I'm trying to decide if I should bring her home or have her stay at the hospital.

I would expect a change over a few days initially

Would I necessarily have to do blood tests?

Absolutely, blood tests are essential for monitoring diabetes

We decided to hospitalize her so she could get fluids and hopefully feel more like eating. Her blood glucose was right in the middle of the normal range when they took it today. Her first was only a little high but they said sugar was in her urine. Could it be lower today just because she has not eaten much? Or could sugar have been in her urine and blood glucose a little high because of the stress of a hospital stay.?

Absolutely, her sugar could be lower because she has little appetite. Your vets will monitor her blood sugar levels after she eats.