Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My tuxedo cat, age about 15 years old, started having

My tuxedo cat, age...

My tuxedo cat, age about 15 years old, started having seizures on Friday night. One at 11pm and one at 4am, both pretty violent in nature. Took her in to the vet at 5am, they looked her over, took some blood and were going to get the test results back in a few days. Well, she had another strong seizure that afternoon so we took her back to the vet and they did a blood test there which revealed nothing suspect and she had a seizure while she was there so they started her on phenobarbital and kept her overnight. Picked her up on Sunday and she seemed groggy but ok. She did have 2 mild seizures yesterday, but not nearly as strong as previous ones. Gave her a 1/2 15mg pheno tablet at 5am and she had a mild seizure at 5:30 and a strong one at 8:30am. Another mild seizure at 11:30, called the vet and picked up some 5mg Prednisolone tablets - full one in the am and am to give her a 1/2 tablet in the evening. Well she had another strong seizure at 5:10 this evening, just before giving her her 1/2 pheno tablet. Am I expecting results too soon? Anything else I should/could try?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Kitty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kitty?

Not really. Pretty healthy up until now. Caught a vole the other day which she was pretty proud of, ate it but threw it up. Got into a little scrap with a neighbors cat on Saturday but no damage. Gets lots of raw salmon.

6/12/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you.

It does take time for Phenobarbital to reduce/stop seizures. It is not a drug that works instantly but instead we need the drug to reach a therapeutic level in the brain and that can take a week or two. That said, if Kitty is still having seizures, do speak to her vet about rectal diazepam to have on hand for her. That way you can stop the seizures as soon as they start and reduce the toll they take on the body. As well, given her age (where epilepsy is less likely and brain lesions are more), do speak to them about possible causes. Its good the bloods were normal but make sure they've ruled out parasitic, bacterial or viral causes. Also that her blood pressure is normal (as that can trigger a brain bleed). If they have, while an MRI would be needed to know for sure (sometimes not practical for older cats), we'd have to be thinking about masses in the brain. And with that it may be worthwhile to also have her on steroids as those can reduce inflammation/mass size in some cases which in turn could reduce seizures too.

Finally, I'd not give her lots of raw salmon and actually its worth supplementing her with vitamin B (thiamine). The reason is too much raw fish has thiaminases which can lead to thiamine deficiency in cats .Its rare but notoriously seen in cats on heavy fish diets and that can actually cause neurological signs. So, its best to supplement that and hold off on the fish if we can to make sure that isn't playing a role here for Kitty.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for the detailed response. Not so sure about the rectal diazepam as it seems like it would be darn near impossible to put something into a cat's butt while she is thrashing around. Sorry about the delay, but she just had another strong seizure :(
Just did a little research into the thiaminases issue and fish. A lot of fish have it but a lot of fish do not and from looking at a number of sources, salmon does not have thiaminases.
https://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-thiamine-in-a-raw-meat-diet