Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I've got a 16.5 year old Cornish Rex with -standing herpes…

Customer Question
I've got a 16.5...

I've got a 16.5 year old Cornish Rex with long-standing herpes virus infection that sometimes turns into a bacterial infection, which I usually treat with antibiotics successfully. Now that he is elderly and has CRI also, it seems that he needs to be on antibiotics (Clavamox or Augmentin) continuously to keep the bacterial infection at bay. I understand the risks of using antibiotics continuously, but...here I am. New doctor wanted me to use Cerenia nose drops. I'm trying to find information on this drug.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Romeo.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Romeo?

As long as his bacterial infection is treated, he seems as healthy and frisky as ever, although his hind legs are weakened by the kidney disease.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Romeo. First, I agree that long term antibiotics aren't ideal but sometimes we do need to compromise and use them to ensure a good quality of life with conditions like those he has intermittently. Though its important to understand that what you noted the new vet wants to use is not an antibiotic at all. Cerenia is an interesting drug as its markets and most often used to treat nausea in animals. But it has been recently found that it can reduce nasal congestion and inflammation when used intranasally. This is not a licensed preparation but it is a treatment option that is becoming much more common in helping chronic herpes cats. So, you don't need to worry about antibiotic overuse with this since it is not one. It is just a drug that due to its extra effects can be used as a nasal treatment to reduce inflammation/congestion and ease his breathing. Of course, for the herpes virus itself, there are other options (ie L-lysine, antivirals like interferon) that can be used in combination to reduce viral load and with it the signs that the virus causes.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **