Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She had kittens 2 weeks 3 days ago. She is eating wet

Customer Question
She had kittens 2...

She had kittens 2 weeks 3 days ago. She is eating wet catfood over the dry and has developed diahrea. I added pumpkin to the canned cat food but it is not working. I have cefdinir on hand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

She is a stray that started coming around in Novemeber. When it got cold she would stay inside sometimes. Then several weeks ago she showed back up pregnant and we were able to make friends with her and put her in a safe place in our finished basement. Shes been doing great other than this diahrea. We call her journey.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is this new behavior?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/11/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Journey has had loose stools after having her kittens.

Sometimes the hormones that induce parturition can lead to loose stools due to hypermotility and that can cause a change in bacteria population in the gut which also can cause diarrhea.

Pregnancy also stimulates parasite cysts in the body to become active again and thus gastrointestinal parasites can cause diarrhea.

She should have several fresh (as soon as possible after they are passed) stool samples submitted to her veterinarian to be sent to the diagnostic laboratory for a parasite check. You can also use a worming medication like Fenbendazole or Pyrantel to treat her for common worm parasites in the meantime. These are considered safe to use in pregnant and nursing queens according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

Because she's had abnormal stools her intestinal bacteria population may not be a normal one, and you may need to replace normal gut bacteria with a probiotic, such as fortiflora.

Today you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin only products are safe even for nursing queens) at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

You can also try feeding her a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, white rice and 2/3 boiled lean, boiled, white chicken in small meals several times a day. If you are seeing mucous or blood in her stools adding 1-2 tablespoons of pumpkin to her meals as fiber soothes an irritated colon. Ideally she should be eating a kitten food now, and that is what you need to transition her to as her diarrhea clears, but for now it is more dangerous for her to become dehydrated because she has diarrhea so we need to get her diarrhea stopped.

If she stops eating, or starts vomiting she needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible.

Please do not give cefdinir. That antibiotic can be passed to the kittens via milk, and is not safe or approved for kittens.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****