Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat eats only a couple bites of food then stops and won't…

Hi there. My cat...

Hi there. My cat eats only a couple bites of food then stops and won't eat any more. She acts like she wants to eat, but doesn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is your cat's name and age?

Her name is Mykah (pronounced MEE-kah). She is 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mykah?

She is hyperthyroid and has arthritis

6/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Hello and thank you for the fast reply! To answer your questions:Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? Nope, same brand I've been feeding for years (Friskies canned Shreds) New treats? No new treats. Bones? My cat doesn't chew on bones. Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? This has been going on for a couple weeks now, with her not eating. The only thing she does seem interested in eating is human food. Canned Hormel chicken, canned tuna in water, cheese, table scraps such as lunch meat. Torn up toys or trash? No torn up toys or trash. Stressful changes to the environment? I've been fostering a lot of other cats temporarily, specifically kittens, lately. I often think this may have something to do with it. Addition of medication? She was started on medication for hyperthyroidism, but this problem started before that. Toxin ingestion? No toxin ingestion to my knowledge. She doesn't get into stuff like that and I don't leave it laying around.She does also have arthritis pretty bad and I can tell she's in a lot of discomfort of pain from that.

When it comes to the food she will eat, are you seeing her appetite return to normal with the human food or is she still eating much less than is normal for her?

When did she last have bloodwork?

She's still eating MUCH less than is normal for her. Regardless of what I can get her to eat, cat food or human food, she only takes 2-3 small bites then walks away. Sometimes she acts like she wants to eat more but then doesn't. In the mornings she cries while I'm getting her food (like she always has) but then I set it down and she only eats a couple bites and the rest goes bad.She just has a full senior blood panel a couple weeks ago. They said they checked all her internal organ functioning, which is how they found out she's hyperthyroid.

Excellent. It might also be worth asking if they ran a pancreatic profile and if they checked her teeth thoroughly (oral pain is one of the more common reasons for avoiding food). Hyperthyroid cats tend to eat a lot of food when they are not regulated, and they also lose weight in spite of it. She's going to lose even more weight when not eating if she's not well regulated on an oral medication like methimazole. If you also feel she's arthritic, I'd talk to your vet about not only starting a joint supplement but also medication for pain. I like http://www.glycoflex.com products and NSAIDs/pain meds can help with joint discomfort. For some cats, their joints are so uncomfortable it will throw off their appetite. It would also be worthwhile given her age to have x-rays and/or ultrasound performed of the abdomen to be absolutely certain that there is nothing going on in the abdomen causing her to not want to eat (such as a tumor). Given that they find nothing an appetite stimulant might also help. In the meanwhile, I'd offer her KMR and pureed baby foods to see if these interest her. Avoid those with onion and garlic in the ingredient panel.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you for the suggestions and your time.